Three Kamia Indian men and two children from the Capitan Grande Reservation stand beside adobe bricks that they made for the restoration of the mission. Bricks are stacked on the left and arranged to dry in the open area behind the group. A wall of the church of the Mission San Diego Alcala is visible in the background.
Two Kamia Indian men kneel beside a mold for making an adobe brick in an open area. Beside them on the ground are about 34 drying adobe bricks. Behind them, three workers with a wheel barrow stand beside a ruined adobe wall of the Mission San Diego de Alcalá.
View of the interior of the ruined church at the Mission San Diego de Alcalá. Remains include the nave wall (left) and the inside of the front (façade) wall (center) with scaffolding in place against the attached remains of the nave wall. Wall foundations are visible in the foreground and on the right; adobe bricks are stacked on the left.
Six well-dressed men visiting the site of the remains of the church at the Mission San Diego de Alcala. Adobe bricks are neatly stacked within the footprint of the building. Additional wall foundations extend into the background.
The San Diego Mission is also called Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcala, founded in 1769 by Padre Junipero Serra. Architect Arthur Burnett Benton was one of the original founders of the California Landmarks Club; he also supervised restoration of the San Juan Capistrano mission.