Crowds gather as the 20-ton, 200-inch lens for what would be the Hale Telescope arrives in Pasadena, CA, after a cross-country rail trip from Corning, NY. The giant lens was made from Pyrex, then a new material, by the Corning Glass Works company. Astronomer George Ellery Hale, one of the founders of the California Institute of Technology, secured a $6 million grant from the Rockefeller Institute to build both an observatory and a telescope with a 200-inch primary mirror, to be administered through Cal Tech. Hale built his observatory on Mt. Palomar in San Diego County, 90 miles southeast from the Mt. Wilson observatory in Pasadena, which Hale had also founded in 1904. Construction of the Hale telescope was delayed by World War II, and the telescope did not see its first light until January 26, 1949. George Hale died in 1938, and thus did not see his dream of the world's largest telescope come to fruition in his lifetime.
The float was sponsored by the International Association of Machinists, District Lodge 727, and engineers from the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation. The float was used in the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade in 1946 and featured five women representing one of the "Big Five" nations: the United States, England, France, China, and Russia.
"The Honeymoon" float shows a couple in a Venetian carriage on a barge with a child rowing the barge. The bridegroom is Henry Taft and the bride is Bessie Barto and the rower is Johnie Dell. The float is in a staging area before the parade, probably on S. Orange Grove Blvd. The float was entered by the city of South Pasadena.
Metropolitan Water District workmen celebrate the completion of a water tunnel. The tunnel was part of a distributing system that brought Colorado River water to Los Angeles and surrounding communities.