Float in shape of tiered viewing stands withJ. H. Burns playing the role of Ponce de Leon reaching for the fountain of youth and with 'Dr. W. J. Ross (unreadable) Co.' written on side. The float is seen at the intersection of Colorado Boulevard and Orange Grove Blvd.
Crowds gather as the 20-ton, 200-inch lens for what would be the Hale Telescope arrives in Pasadena, CA, after a cross-country rail trip from Corning, NY. The giant lens was made from Pyrex, then a new material, by the Corning Glass Works company. Astronomer George Ellery Hale, one of the founders of the California Institute of Technology, secured a $6 million grant from the Rockefeller Institute to build both an observatory and a telescope with a 200-inch primary mirror, to be administered through Cal Tech. Hale built his observatory on Mt. Palomar in San Diego County, 90 miles southeast from the Mt. Wilson observatory in Pasadena, which Hale had also founded in 1904. Construction of the Hale telescope was delayed by World War II, and the telescope did not see its first light until January 26, 1949. George Hale died in 1938, and thus did not see the telescope that bears his name completed.
Metropolitan Water District workman pours the last batch of concrete for the completion of a water tunnel. The tunnel was part of a distributing system that brought Colorado River water to Los Angeles and surrounding communities.
The "Golden Gate Bridge" float with a replica of the bridge with the Marin and San Francisco shores on either side and 7 ships. The bridge was under constructin at this time. The Pasadena Memorial Flagpole (Goodhue Flagpole) is visible behind the float in its original location in the middle of the intersection of Orange Grove and Colorado Boulevard. The float was entered by the city of San Francisco.