Three laborers employed by the Bureau of Power and Light were seriously injured when the walls of a sixteen-foot ditch collapsed. It is speculated that the timberwork used to support the dirt was not strong enough. The victims were John M. Burns, who suffered a crushed chest and laceration about the head and face, Robert Rosenthal, who suffered contusions of the head, lacerations of the arms, and a possible spinal injury, and Bernard Glennin, who sustained internal injuries and a sprained shoulder.
The empty lot that once house the old County Courthouse, left, across from the Hall of Justice, right, which was built in 1922. The vertical street in the photograph is Temple, cut by Broadway in the center.