View of the interior of a stately house, probably the 1898 house of General Harrison Grey Otis, which became the Otis Art Institute in 1918 (located at 2410 Wilshire Blvd.). There is carved chest supporting a floral bouquet in front of a fireplace with a carved stone mantle. In the room beyond there appears to be art work on exhibition.
Photograph of a stylized landscape painting by an Otis Art Institute student, with a view towards a lawn and house from a front gate. The painting is on a wall above a table covered with fabric and holding a footed metal bowl flanked by decorative metal candle holders and small paintings in decorative metal frames.
Photograph of over 40 members of the Los Angeles Japanese community gathered in the café of Tabin Kato for a dinner. Kato is seated at a table with a large turkey on a platter next to (former?) police Chief George K. Home. Three boys at the table behind Kato wear scout uniforms.
Members of the 160th Infantry from World War I stand in front of the 160th Regiment State Armory building (Wallis Annenberg Building) in Exposition Park. From left: Colonel Paul Hervery, Lieutenant Colonel Seth E. Howard, Captain Edward S. Garner, and Captain Paul Arndt.
Dancing Chinese lion during festival in Chinatown on unpaved street with spectators on the sidewalk. The man supporting the front holds the lion's head high above his own head and is smiling. There is allot of dust or smoke in the foreground. A sign on a commercial building reads: "Eastern Grocery Co."
Photograph of William Beirne (left) and others seated at a long table and standing behind the table in a Los Angeles courtroom. One of the attorneys is William Beirne. Additional people are seated in the courtroom in the background.
This is a picture of noted Los Angeles county assesor Ed W. Hopkins, who served from 1910 until his death in 1938. He was repeatedly voted back into office by the public. In this picture, he appears to be looking through a file in his office. In the background is a desk, a shelf lined with books, papers, files, and a feather duster.
Photograph of Frederick W. Houser, who served as Associate Justice of the California Supreme Court from 1937 until his death in 1942. In the photograph, he sits at a bench with the American flag draped over it and books placed on it.
File photograph of Paul Lowry, turf specialist of the Times for 25 years until his retirement in 1959. He covered races at Santa Anita, Hollywood Park and Del Mar. He served as an automotive and sports editor before becoming the turf writer.
Photograph of a former synagogue narrow, pointed windows, finished in clapboard siding and with a circular Star of David window on the main façade above the entrance. The "rooms" sign above the doorway indicates that the building was repurposed as a boarding house. A man is seated in the garden in front of the building and the building is situated between an automotive shop, with the sign "[Co]mplete Lubrication," and an industrial building, perhaps a factory.
Aileen Adams and another woman are being escorted into a car by an unidentified man. Aileen's profile faces the camera and she is smiling. She is wearing a textured hat and a long coat with dark fur trim.
Photograph of S. Fred Hogue, feature editorial writer for the Los Angeles Times. An expert in art, international affairs, history and modern problems, Mr. Hogue was with the Times from 1914 to his death in 1941. He was also one of 12 reporters chosen to be a part of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.
Photograph of Harry Bowling, Times Editorial writer for 30 years [1912-1942] until his retirement. Originally from England, Mr. Bowling got American citizenship in 1901 and wrote poems, stories and editorial articles for the Los Angeles Times.
The Exposition Park Armory was designed in 1912 by architect John W. Woollett. It opened in 1914. A later name is the Wallis Annenberg Building for Science Learning and Innovation at the California Science Center.