Dates of execution from Elizabeth Marsh's journal, dated, presumably in her own hand, Dec. 13, 1774-June 20, 1776. Bound with a copy of her captivity narrative in the hand of her brother John Marsh. The captivity narrative, an account of the seven months in 1756 she was held in Morocco as prisoner of the sultan Sidi Muhammad, has title "Narrative written by Miss Elizabeth Marsh during her captivity in Barbary in the year 1756."
Record of the voyage of the transport Loo Choo from New York to San Francisco carrying units of Colonel Jonathan D. Stevenson's 1st New York Volunteer Regiment to participate in the military conquest of California. Included are descriptions of life aboard the vessel, in San Francisco and at Santa Barbara, where the troops were on garrison duty.
Written in Campania, probably in Naples to judge from the watermark and later ownership; there were two houses dedicated to St. Gaudiosus in Naples, one of which (a nunnery) also enclosed a church devoted to St. Fortunata (Cottineau 2.2035). Belonged in the 17th century to Aurelia Carrafa (signature vertically in the inner margin of f. 12 and again on f. 13), member of an illustrious Neapolitan family, probably from the branch of the princes of San Lorenzo; the Carafa women had close ties through the generations with the convent of San Gaudioso (see B. Aldimari, Historia genealogica della famiglia Carafa [Naples 1691] 367). Bought from Les Enluminures, Paris (their TM 366), by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Decoration:Major initials in alternating red and blue with pen infilling and flourishing. Large initials alternating in red and blue and pen-flourished, occasionally with faces (ff. 114v, 124, 125v). Mid-sized initials in black on green, occasionally with pen faces colored tan (ff. 119r-v, 124v, 125, unnumbered fragment verso). An erroneous large red initial A[lorificamus] on f. 187 has a discreet contemporary mauve G with harping inserted beside it.
Catholic Church. Liturgy and ritual. Breviary. Written in semi-gothic script. Includes circular diagram for finding the Golden numbers starting with the year 1501, with instructions in French. Cf. Ferrari.
Six loose leaves from a commital register (registre d’écrous) of the Châtelet, the central Paris jail, containing 71 entries regarding the commital of people between 24 April and 24 May 1412. These are the earliest surviving portions of the medieval registers of the Paris jail.
Manuscript document on vellum, written in several Romanesque bookhands in 3 columns on both sides of single leaf. Notary signs. 590x 422 mm.An official record of land donations left in wills to the church of San Juan Batista de Calavario near Montenegro in the province of La Coruña, Spain. By far the greatest proposition of gifts come from the Froilaz family and were left between the years 1076 and 1153. Includes are seventeen separate donations.Neither the church, nor the town exit today and the only means of localizing the donations are the mention of the rivers Eume and Lara (i.e. Ladra), both in northeastern La Coruña. Froilaz (Froilan or Froila) was the name of 3 kings of Asturia and a bishop of Leon, and so must have ben closely related to this region.
Written by Alberico Spinola, a Camaldolese monk and a citizen of Genoa, in 1443, and illuminated by Hugo of Alexandria, noted in the Dictionnaire des Colophons (from the Quaritch catalog cited below). On f. 1 in ink: “Ex libris Dominici Merli Civis Lucensis 1787.” Listed in Bernard Quaritch, A Catalogue of Illuminated and other Manuscripts (London 1931) no. 74; at that time the manuscript was lacking only 2 leaves (first leaf of q. 3 and of q. 16) and contained: “f. 1, Calendar; f. 21, Officium B.M.V. (lacking 1st leaf); f. 141b, Missa B.V.M.; f. 147, Septum Psalmi Penitentiales cum Litania; f. 181, Officium Mortuorum; f. 257, Officium S. Crucis; f. 267, Officium S. Spiritus; f. 290, Memoriae Sanctorum”; at that time it was decorated with 14 illuminated and 3 historiated initials, and with three-quarter borders of “floreated scrolls.” Acquired, still whole except for the two missing leaves, by Nicolas Pavlov, Dobbs Ferry, NY, from Reiss & Auvermann at Glashuetten im Taunus, West Germany (Catalog, lot #15, with plates) in October 1988. Dismembered by Pavlov and portions sold to other dealers. A part, probably the Office of the Dead, was sold to the bookdealer Bruce Guenter of South Egermont, MA. Rouse MS 40 was acquired in its present state from Pavlov in March 1990 by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Vol. 1 Italy (s. IX-XI) Vol. 2 Italy (s. XII)Vol. 3 Italy (s. XIII) Vol. 4 Italy (s. XIV) Vol. 5 Italy (s. XV)Vol. 6 France (s. XI-XIII)Vol. 7 France (s. XIV-XV) Vol. 8 England & Spain Vol. 9 GermanyVol. 10 Greek & Hebrew