The float was sponsored by the International Association of Machinists, District Lodge 727, and engineers from the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation. The float was used in the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade in 1946 and featured five women representing one of the "Big Five" nations: the United States, England, France, China, and Russia.
The first base was established in 1929, while the last, Little America V, was established in 1956 at Kainan Bay. Little America II was established in 1934, and during the 1934-1935 expedition, many souvenir letters were sent from Little America, using a commemorative postage stamp issued by the U.S. government. Glendale's float received a special award, a consolation prize after the float's entry having been delayed en route to the parade.
Admiral and Mrs. William S. Sims with an unidentified woman standing next to a train. Mrs. Sims holds a bouquet of roses. This photograph was probably taken in December of 1933 when Admiral Sims arrived in Pasadena to officiate as the Grand Marshal of the Tournament of Roses Parade.