The 20-ton, 200-inch lens for what would be the Hale Telescope after its arrival in Pasadena, CA, following a cross-country rail trip from Corning, NY. The giant waffle-patterned lens was made from Pyrex, then a new material, by the Corning Glass Works company. Astronomer George Ellery Hale, one of the founders of the California Institute of Technology, secured a $6 million grant from the Rockefeller Institute to build both an observatory and a telescope with a 200-inch primary mirror, to be administered through Cal Tech. Hale built his observatory on Mt. Palomar in San Diego County, 90 miles southeast from the Mt. Wilson observatory in Pasadena, which Hale had also founded in 1904. Construction of the Hale telescope was delayed by World War II, and the telescope did not see its first light until January 26, 1949. George Hale died in 1938, and thus did not see the telescope that bears his name completed.
View of a maiden (Ellen Collins) sleeping in a bed of roses on the "A Child's Dream" float, with a princess (Katherine Collins) and castle in the background. The float was entered by the city of Anaheim.
Admiral William S. Sims seated in a living room. This photograph was probably taken in December of 1933 when Admiral Sims was in Pasadena to officiate as the Grand Marshal of the Tournament of Roses Parade.
"Adhorable Babies" float carrying 18 children in a golden, cup-shaped trophy in the center with a floral sign reading "Our Future Champions" and 29 children on the main platform dressed in costumes of different countries competing in Olympiads. The float is decorated with shields ornamented to look like coats of arms with carnations and pigeons were steadily released from the trophy during the parade. The float was lead by another small float in the form of a swan (image no. 21198/zz002cp5vz) and was entered by the Adohr Creamery Company. the float location in the image is the intersection of Orange Grove Blvd. and Colorado Blvd.