A man surveys the newspapers available for reading at an open-air public library in Pershing Square, downtown Los Angeles. The Pershing Square outdoor library was opened in December of 1936, and was staffed by W.P.A. workers. Visitors to the library could choose to borrow a book by simply leaving their name. The library was quite popular, circulating 24,000 books in its first six months of operation, and spawning other outdoor libraries in Los Angeles.
Float with a Miss Frank Alexander in an open jewelry box with a red satin lining and a strand of pearls half out of the box in the Tournament of Roses Parade. Floral signs on the float include "Safe Keeping" on the lid of the jewelry box and "Banks" on the front. Signs on the corner commercial building behind the float read: "Latest Model Cars for Hire Without Drivers...," "Pasadena Vulcan...g Works," and "Hotel Franklin." Spectators are standing along the parade route and on top of the corner building.
View of the "Sea Serpent" float with 3 women. The Pasadena Memorial Flagpole (Goodhue Flagpole) is visible behind the float in its original location in the middle of the intersection of Orange Grove and Colorado Boulevard. The float was entered by the city of Venice.
View of the "Queen of the Seven Seas" float with the Queen of the Rose Parade, Treva Scot, and her 6 visible attendants, in a chariot accompanied by 4 sea horses and pulled by 3 or 4 floral goldfish.The Pasadena Memorial Flagpole (Goodhue Flagpole) is visible behind the float in its original location in the middle of the intersection of Orange Grove and Colorado Boulevard.