Crowd gathered during the vegetable picker and packer strike. A sign in the background reads: "Comite Pro Huela." The strike began when wages were cut from 30 to 25 cents an hour. Police dealt with strikers who aimed to overturn trucks carrying vegetables.
Six members of the Native Sons of Golden West pose for a photograph with the bronze medallion that they presented at the dedication of the Santa Barbara Courthouse. James A. Wilson, Junior Past Grand President, is on the far right. The medallion is inscribed: "Native Sons Of The Golden West, Dedicated august 14 1929." They are standing in front of the main doorway to the courthouse where the dedication took place.
A dance troupe of 8 women and one man performing in the Old Spanish Days Fiesta wave from an exterior staircase on the garden facade of the Santa Barbara County Courthouse to the right of the main entrance
Photograph of Upton Sinclair, author and politician, with wife Mary Craig Sinclair and an unidentified acquaintance. At the time of this photograph, Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair were reported to have been undergoing general physical examination in the Cottage Hospital at Santa Barbara.
Photograph of Upton Sinclair, author and politician, with wife Mary Craig Sinclair. During the time of this photograph, Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair were reported to have been undergoing general physical examination in the Cottage Hospital at Santa Baraba.
View of earthquake damaged commercial building at the west corner of State and Figueroa Streets. Rubble from the building fills State Street. A man in a sailor uniform carrying a rifle stands in front of a fallen pilaster in the left foreground and back of a truck is on the left. The San Marcos Building is visible in the distance.
On June 29, 1925 at 6:42 am a major earthquake hit the area of Santa Barbara. It was 19 seconds in duration and registered 6.8 on the Richter magnitude scale. The downtown of Santa Barbara was destroyed, the Sheffield Dam collapsed, and thirteen people died. The facade of the Mission Santa Barbara was severely damaged and lost its statues. Three persons thought to shut off the town electricity and gas, thereby preventing catastrophic fire. The city was rebuilt in a unified Spanish Colonial Revival style in 1925-1929.