Possibly related to the article “Big Bear Lake is Gem Crowning Mountain Top, Nature’s Charms Allure in Region Visited by Scout Party, Years Bring Many Improvements.” Los Angeles, Times, 26 May 1935. … To obtain first hand facts about this wonder area, The Times scout car … rolled up into the San Bernardino Mountains the other day. Smooth pavement all the way from First and Broadway to the village of Pine Knot seemed almost incredible, but it is there, for the State has spent $1,500,000 building this de luxe roadway, and reducing the grade, which had run as high as 16 per cent, to a maximum of 4 per cent, creating one of the most ideal mountain roads in the world. …
Aerial view of streets in Los Angeles, mostly straight, including one major street with streetlights and billboards running from lower left to center right, one curving street near center left. View shows mostly houses, some fields, few buildings taller than 2 stories, long bridge or structure just left of center.
Possibly related to Los Angeles Times article, “Navy Home From ‘Battle’ Gives 40,000 Men Leave; San Pedro-San Diego Area Base for 152 Ships as Month’s Gruelling Pacific War Comes to End,” 23 Mar. 1932: A1.
Photograph of Raymond Gagan dressed as the Duke of Mantua from the Santa Monica Civic Opera production of “Rigoletto.” He wears stockings with loafers and a doublet-inspired satin tunic with paneled sleeves, a small ruff around the neckline, and a sequined panel at the chest. A belt and sword complete the outfit.
Constructed in 1929, the Gothic Revival style building was originally a residential stock co-operative, was converted to a hotel after the Great Depression, returned to being a stock co-operative in the mid nineteen fifties and converted to condominium titles in 1991. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located at 800 East Ocean Boulevard
Aerial view of the gardens at Casa del Rey Moro in Ronda, Spain. Walkway to pool on lower terrace, flanked by planting beds. A narrow channel of water runs down the center of the walkway and feeds the pool below
The Central Tower Building was designed by M. Eugene Durfee and constructed in 1929 by the contractors J. Westley Forderer (west wing and tower) and Claude L. Freeman (north wing). It is an example of the Art Deco style, with vertical pilasters; recessed spandrels; stylized parapets on the second, sixth, seventh and eighth floors; and decorative patterns including the zig-zag styled ornamentation above the commercial storefronts. It was constructed of reinforced concrete with brick infill and finished with stucco. The form consists of two-story store front wings flanking an eight-story tower. In this photograph the original metal screening on the exterior of the storefront transom windows, the black-tiled store front base and black and white storefront checkered flooring are visible.
Two biology students dissect frogs. The students sit at a laboratory desk, each with their own frog. The student in the foreground draws what he sees. Scalpels, tweezers, scissors and teasing needles are laid out on butcher blocks with the frogs. A microscope can be seen on the lab table behind them.