Written in Campania, probably in Naples to judge from the watermark and later ownership; there were two houses dedicated to St. Gaudiosus in Naples, one of which (a nunnery) also enclosed a church devoted to St. Fortunata (Cottineau 2.2035). Belonged in the 17th century to Aurelia Carrafa (signature vertically in the inner margin of f. 12 and again on f. 13), member of an illustrious Neapolitan family, probably from the branch of the princes of San Lorenzo; the Carafa women had close ties through the generations with the convent of San Gaudioso (see B. Aldimari, Historia genealogica della famiglia Carafa [Naples 1691] 367). Bought from Les Enluminures, Paris (their TM 366), by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Decoration:Major initials in alternating red and blue with pen infilling and flourishing. Large initials alternating in red and blue and pen-flourished, occasionally with faces (ff. 114v, 124, 125v). Mid-sized initials in black on green, occasionally with pen faces colored tan (ff. 119r-v, 124v, 125, unnumbered fragment verso). An erroneous large red initial A[lorificamus] on f. 187 has a discreet contemporary mauve G with harping inserted beside it.
Catholic Church. Liturgy and ritual. Breviary. Written in semi-gothic script. Includes circular diagram for finding the Golden numbers starting with the year 1501, with instructions in French. Cf. Ferrari.
Six loose leaves from a commital register (registre d’écrous) of the Châtelet, the central Paris jail, containing 71 entries regarding the commital of people between 24 April and 24 May 1412. These are the earliest surviving portions of the medieval registers of the Paris jail.
Manuscript document on vellum, written in several Romanesque bookhands in 3 columns on both sides of single leaf. Notary signs. 590x 422 mm.An official record of land donations left in wills to the church of San Juan Batista de Calavario near Montenegro in the province of La Coruña, Spain. By far the greatest proposition of gifts come from the Froilaz family and were left between the years 1076 and 1153. Includes are seventeen separate donations.Neither the church, nor the town exit today and the only means of localizing the donations are the mention of the rivers Eume and Lara (i.e. Ladra), both in northeastern La Coruña. Froilaz (Froilan or Froila) was the name of 3 kings of Asturia and a bishop of Leon, and so must have ben closely related to this region.
Written by Alberico Spinola, a Camaldolese monk and a citizen of Genoa, in 1443, and illuminated by Hugo of Alexandria, noted in the Dictionnaire des Colophons (from the Quaritch catalog cited below). On f. 1 in ink: “Ex libris Dominici Merli Civis Lucensis 1787.” Listed in Bernard Quaritch, A Catalogue of Illuminated and other Manuscripts (London 1931) no. 74; at that time the manuscript was lacking only 2 leaves (first leaf of q. 3 and of q. 16) and contained: “f. 1, Calendar; f. 21, Officium B.M.V. (lacking 1st leaf); f. 141b, Missa B.V.M.; f. 147, Septum Psalmi Penitentiales cum Litania; f. 181, Officium Mortuorum; f. 257, Officium S. Crucis; f. 267, Officium S. Spiritus; f. 290, Memoriae Sanctorum”; at that time it was decorated with 14 illuminated and 3 historiated initials, and with three-quarter borders of “floreated scrolls.” Acquired, still whole except for the two missing leaves, by Nicolas Pavlov, Dobbs Ferry, NY, from Reiss & Auvermann at Glashuetten im Taunus, West Germany (Catalog, lot #15, with plates) in October 1988. Dismembered by Pavlov and portions sold to other dealers. A part, probably the Office of the Dead, was sold to the bookdealer Bruce Guenter of South Egermont, MA. Rouse MS 40 was acquired in its present state from Pavlov in March 1990 by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Vol. 1 Italy (s. IX-XI) Vol. 2 Italy (s. XII)Vol. 3 Italy (s. XIII) Vol. 4 Italy (s. XIV) Vol. 5 Italy (s. XV)Vol. 6 France (s. XI-XIII)Vol. 7 France (s. XIV-XV) Vol. 8 England & Spain Vol. 9 GermanyVol. 10 Greek & Hebrew
Leaf  of the 1476 Italian translation of Pliny the Elder's Naturalis historia, the greatest encyclopedia of knowledge of the natural world in the classical era. An illustrated border (30-70 mm wide) has been added to the text on the recto of the leaf, painted in colors and gold for the original owner of the book, whose portrait medallion appears in center of upper panel. A large vignette of Pliny the geographer at his desk, holding a compass within the capital "E" at beginning of text. Panels on left and right contain a winter scene, with caption "Renovera," and a mandrake and crown, respectively. The lower panels feature drawings of putti, animals, and garlands of leaves, and flowers. Medallion in the center of lower panel contains arms of Arcangelo Spigliati of the Spigliati family of Florence, featuring a tower surmounted by two lions rampant (see A. Marquand, Giovanni della Robbia. Princeton: Princeton Univ., 1920, page 162). Capitals on verso of leaf have in alternating red and blue ink.
2 columns of 38 lines. Written by 1 person in a rounded Italian gothic bookhand in olive-brown ink; rubrics in red minuscule. On folio 1r, 9-line initial parted red and blue on blue and red penwork; the remainder of the quotation from Inferno in a display script; on f. 2v, 3-line initials alternately in red and blue, on penwork of the opposite color; initials in the text slashed with red. f. 1r badly worn.
Written in Italy in the late fifteenth century, to judge from paleographical features and watermark. A tiny book meant for personal use, this text may once have belonged to a longer breviary but the prayers and readings represent a consciously selected self-contained unit. Bought from Bernard Rosenthal (his MS 75, penciled on front pastedown) in August 1988 by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Written in the Netherlands in the mid-15th century; Bodleian Library MS Marshall 109 (SC 5309) is similar in dimensions, content, and layout, although the script is not the same. Belonged to the Dutch bibliophile J. A. Dortmond (bookplate), his no. Hd 427. Purchased from Sam Fogg, Rare Books Ltd., London, in January 1993, by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Written in Italy in the second half of the thirteenth century, a fragment from a pocket-size sermon book produced by its user, judging by its inexpert script, simplicity of design and execution, and the poor quality of the parchment. Bought from Bernard Rosenthal (his MS 62, in pencil on inside of front cover) in August 1988 by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Francesco Melzi (1493-1570), 2 pen drawings. paper. 1.] Two grotesques, man with pointed chin and old woman, in profile facing each other. 2.] Two grotesques, old woman and smiling old man, in profile facing each other. Attributed by Carlo Pedretti to Francesco Melzi, a pupil of Leonardo da Vinci, they are copies of Leonardo sketches, some of which are in the collections of the duke of Devonshire at Chatsworth. Formerly attributed to Leonardo himself. From a set of twelve drawings of similar size in the collection of the earls of Pembroke at Wilton House, one of which is now at the Detroit Institute of Art (Gift of Edward Fowles). Given to the Elmer Belt Library by Mr. and Mrs. Edward Fowls in honor of Dr. Franklin D. Murphy in 1968.
Possible range of dates based on textual reference to date of 1741 and handwriting style.Manuscript copy of notes in English on proportion and the art of drawing the human body, excerpted from English translations of Charles-Alphonse Dufresnoy's De arte graphica (The art of painting) and Giovanni Paolo Lomazzo's Trattato dell'arte della pittura (Treatise on the art of painting), and from William Cowper's The anatomy of humane bodies. Long before they were actually published, Leonardo's notebooks were freely loaned by his heir Francesco Melzi, and studied by numerous artists who used them to complete their own works. Giovanni Paolo Lomazzo's Trattato dell'arte de la pittura, which was published in 1584, contains many passages borrowed from Leonardo whose own treatise, Trattato della pittura, was not published until 1651, 67 years later. Dufresnoy came in contact with Leonardo's ideas by reading Lomazzo, and published many of them in his treatise, De arte graphica, which first appeared in 1668; see K.T. Steinitz, Leonardo da Vinci's Trattato della pittura. Copenhagen: Munksgaard, 1958, pages 10-12, 16-17. The present Belt manuscript, possibly compiled in England, also contains references to William Cowper's anatomical treatise on the human body on leaves r and , illustrated with a detailed and finely executed drawing of a human skeleton; leaf v contains notes on Cowper's proportions of the fetus, infant, child, and young adult. Other drawings illustrate the proper proportions of the human head, face, and hand. As a point of reference, the measurements are given on leaf v of a plaster model of a statue of Venus de' Medici, which was commissioned "by a grand duke's order in 1741 and lent to Lord Hobart in Brickling." The final page of notes refers to Leonardo da Vinci's studies on the proportions of a horse, accompanied by a full-page illustration of a horse with body parts and measurements labeled.
Script is in a single 17th-century hand, possibly that of a French scribe, suggested by pen scribblings in French in Chapter 263. Many of the spaces for illustrations have been left blank; in most cases, the location of these spaces conforms with the illustration spaces in the Du Fresne edition of 1651. Eighteen of the spaces contain very informal drawings and scribblings in pen and pencil which have no relation to Leonardo's Trattato. They were added later by artists at the end of the 17th century, which, as Steinitz indicates, suggests that perhaps the present copy "was in use in an artist's workshop in the high baroque period, close to the schools of Bernini and Borromini." These drawings include sketches of figures, as well as ornaments and architectural decoration in pencil, some of them redrawn or partially redrawn in pen and ink. Fabriano paper, with watermark of a saint carrying a cross, similar to Briquet 7628. Binding is old [17th- or 18th-century?] tree-calf paper over paper boards; brown leather spine and corners; gilt spine title "Manoscritto." Pencilled notes on front and back pastedowns indicate former ownership of Sir Thomas Phillipps, and Los Angeles bookdealers Zeitlin & VerBrugge, respectively, the latter dated March 9, 1946. Provenance: From the library of Sir Thomas Phillipps; "Phillipps MS 21154" above text on recto of first leaf.Manuscript copy of selected chapters from Leonardo's Trattato della pittura, probably from the first printed edition in Italian of 1651, edited by Raphael Du Fresne. Text of the manuscript begins and ends as the first edition of 1651, with 365 chapters, captions, and numbers. The unique element of this copy is the addition of three sections which do not appear in any of the other handwritten copies or in the printed editions. For a complete transcription of these three added chapters of Belt MS 34, see Steinitz, Appendix 7, page 232.