Written in Campania, probably in Naples to judge from the watermark and later ownership; there were two houses dedicated to St. Gaudiosus in Naples, one of which (a nunnery) also enclosed a church devoted to St. Fortunata (Cottineau 2.2035). Belonged in the 17th century to Aurelia Carrafa (signature vertically in the inner margin of f. 12 and again on f. 13), member of an illustrious Neapolitan family, probably from the branch of the princes of San Lorenzo; the Carafa women had close ties through the generations with the convent of San Gaudioso (see B. Aldimari, Historia genealogica della famiglia Carafa [Naples 1691] 367). Bought from Les Enluminures, Paris (their TM 366), by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Decoration:Major initials in alternating red and blue with pen infilling and flourishing. Large initials alternating in red and blue and pen-flourished, occasionally with faces (ff. 114v, 124, 125v). Mid-sized initials in black on green, occasionally with pen faces colored tan (ff. 119r-v, 124v, 125, unnumbered fragment verso). An erroneous large red initial A[lorificamus] on f. 187 has a discreet contemporary mauve G with harping inserted beside it.
Catholic Church. Liturgy and ritual. Breviary. Written in semi-gothic script. Includes circular diagram for finding the Golden numbers starting with the year 1501, with instructions in French. Cf. Ferrari.
Six loose leaves from a commital register (registre d’écrous) of the Châtelet, the central Paris jail, containing 71 entries regarding the commital of people between 24 April and 24 May 1412. These are the earliest surviving portions of the medieval registers of the Paris jail.
Manuscript document on vellum, written in several Romanesque bookhands in 3 columns on both sides of single leaf. Notary signs. 590x 422 mm.An official record of land donations left in wills to the church of San Juan Batista de Calavario near Montenegro in the province of La Coruña, Spain. By far the greatest proposition of gifts come from the Froilaz family and were left between the years 1076 and 1153. Includes are seventeen separate donations.Neither the church, nor the town exit today and the only means of localizing the donations are the mention of the rivers Eume and Lara (i.e. Ladra), both in northeastern La Coruña. Froilaz (Froilan or Froila) was the name of 3 kings of Asturia and a bishop of Leon, and so must have ben closely related to this region.
Written by Alberico Spinola, a Camaldolese monk and a citizen of Genoa, in 1443, and illuminated by Hugo of Alexandria, noted in the Dictionnaire des Colophons (from the Quaritch catalog cited below). On f. 1 in ink: “Ex libris Dominici Merli Civis Lucensis 1787.” Listed in Bernard Quaritch, A Catalogue of Illuminated and other Manuscripts (London 1931) no. 74; at that time the manuscript was lacking only 2 leaves (first leaf of q. 3 and of q. 16) and contained: “f. 1, Calendar; f. 21, Officium B.M.V. (lacking 1st leaf); f. 141b, Missa B.V.M.; f. 147, Septum Psalmi Penitentiales cum Litania; f. 181, Officium Mortuorum; f. 257, Officium S. Crucis; f. 267, Officium S. Spiritus; f. 290, Memoriae Sanctorum”; at that time it was decorated with 14 illuminated and 3 historiated initials, and with three-quarter borders of “floreated scrolls.” Acquired, still whole except for the two missing leaves, by Nicolas Pavlov, Dobbs Ferry, NY, from Reiss & Auvermann at Glashuetten im Taunus, West Germany (Catalog, lot #15, with plates) in October 1988. Dismembered by Pavlov and portions sold to other dealers. A part, probably the Office of the Dead, was sold to the bookdealer Bruce Guenter of South Egermont, MA. Rouse MS 40 was acquired in its present state from Pavlov in March 1990 by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Vol. 1 Italy (s. IX-XI) Vol. 2 Italy (s. XII)Vol. 3 Italy (s. XIII) Vol. 4 Italy (s. XIV) Vol. 5 Italy (s. XV)Vol. 6 France (s. XI-XIII)Vol. 7 France (s. XIV-XV) Vol. 8 England & Spain Vol. 9 GermanyVol. 10 Greek & Hebrew
Leaf  of the 1476 Italian translation of Pliny the Elder's Naturalis historia, the greatest encyclopedia of knowledge of the natural world in the classical era. An illustrated border (30-70 mm wide) has been added to the text on the recto of the leaf, painted in colors and gold for the original owner of the book, whose portrait medallion appears in center of upper panel. A large vignette of Pliny the geographer at his desk, holding a compass within the capital "E" at beginning of text. Panels on left and right contain a winter scene, with caption "Renovera," and a mandrake and crown, respectively. The lower panels feature drawings of putti, animals, and garlands of leaves, and flowers. Medallion in the center of lower panel contains arms of Arcangelo Spigliati of the Spigliati family of Florence, featuring a tower surmounted by two lions rampant (see A. Marquand, Giovanni della Robbia. Princeton: Princeton Univ., 1920, page 162). Capitals on verso of leaf have in alternating red and blue ink.
2 columns of 38 lines. Written by 1 person in a rounded Italian gothic bookhand in olive-brown ink; rubrics in red minuscule. On folio 1r, 9-line initial parted red and blue on blue and red penwork; the remainder of the quotation from Inferno in a display script; on f. 2v, 3-line initials alternately in red and blue, on penwork of the opposite color; initials in the text slashed with red. f. 1r badly worn.
Written in Italy in the late fifteenth century, to judge from paleographical features and watermark. A tiny book meant for personal use, this text may once have belonged to a longer breviary but the prayers and readings represent a consciously selected self-contained unit. Bought from Bernard Rosenthal (his MS 75, penciled on front pastedown) in August 1988 by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Written in the Netherlands in the mid-15th century; Bodleian Library MS Marshall 109 (SC 5309) is similar in dimensions, content, and layout, although the script is not the same. Belonged to the Dutch bibliophile J. A. Dortmond (bookplate), his no. Hd 427. Purchased from Sam Fogg, Rare Books Ltd., London, in January 1993, by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Written in Italy in the second half of the thirteenth century, a fragment from a pocket-size sermon book produced by its user, judging by its inexpert script, simplicity of design and execution, and the poor quality of the parchment. Bought from Bernard Rosenthal (his MS 62, in pencil on inside of front cover) in August 1988 by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Francesco Melzi (1493-1570), 2 pen drawings. paper. 1.] Two grotesques, man with pointed chin and old woman, in profile facing each other. 2.] Two grotesques, old woman and smiling old man, in profile facing each other. Attributed by Carlo Pedretti to Francesco Melzi, a pupil of Leonardo da Vinci, they are copies of Leonardo sketches, some of which are in the collections of the duke of Devonshire at Chatsworth. Formerly attributed to Leonardo himself. From a set of twelve drawings of similar size in the collection of the earls of Pembroke at Wilton House, one of which is now at the Detroit Institute of Art (Gift of Edward Fowles). Given to the Elmer Belt Library by Mr. and Mrs. Edward Fowls in honor of Dr. Franklin D. Murphy in 1968.
Possible range of dates based on textual reference to date of 1741 and handwriting style.Manuscript copy of notes in English on proportion and the art of drawing the human body, excerpted from English translations of Charles-Alphonse Dufresnoy's De arte graphica (The art of painting) and Giovanni Paolo Lomazzo's Trattato dell'arte della pittura (Treatise on the art of painting), and from William Cowper's The anatomy of humane bodies. Long before they were actually published, Leonardo's notebooks were freely loaned by his heir Francesco Melzi, and studied by numerous artists who used them to complete their own works. Giovanni Paolo Lomazzo's Trattato dell'arte de la pittura, which was published in 1584, contains many passages borrowed from Leonardo whose own treatise, Trattato della pittura, was not published until 1651, 67 years later. Dufresnoy came in contact with Leonardo's ideas by reading Lomazzo, and published many of them in his treatise, De arte graphica, which first appeared in 1668; see K.T. Steinitz, Leonardo da Vinci's Trattato della pittura. Copenhagen: Munksgaard, 1958, pages 10-12, 16-17. The present Belt manuscript, possibly compiled in England, also contains references to William Cowper's anatomical treatise on the human body on leaves r and , illustrated with a detailed and finely executed drawing of a human skeleton; leaf v contains notes on Cowper's proportions of the fetus, infant, child, and young adult. Other drawings illustrate the proper proportions of the human head, face, and hand. As a point of reference, the measurements are given on leaf v of a plaster model of a statue of Venus de' Medici, which was commissioned "by a grand duke's order in 1741 and lent to Lord Hobart in Brickling." The final page of notes refers to Leonardo da Vinci's studies on the proportions of a horse, accompanied by a full-page illustration of a horse with body parts and measurements labeled.
Script is in a single 17th-century hand, possibly that of a French scribe, suggested by pen scribblings in French in Chapter 263. Many of the spaces for illustrations have been left blank; in most cases, the location of these spaces conforms with the illustration spaces in the Du Fresne edition of 1651. Eighteen of the spaces contain very informal drawings and scribblings in pen and pencil which have no relation to Leonardo's Trattato. They were added later by artists at the end of the 17th century, which, as Steinitz indicates, suggests that perhaps the present copy "was in use in an artist's workshop in the high baroque period, close to the schools of Bernini and Borromini." These drawings include sketches of figures, as well as ornaments and architectural decoration in pencil, some of them redrawn or partially redrawn in pen and ink. Fabriano paper, with watermark of a saint carrying a cross, similar to Briquet 7628. Binding is old [17th- or 18th-century?] tree-calf paper over paper boards; brown leather spine and corners; gilt spine title "Manoscritto." Pencilled notes on front and back pastedowns indicate former ownership of Sir Thomas Phillipps, and Los Angeles bookdealers Zeitlin & VerBrugge, respectively, the latter dated March 9, 1946. Provenance: From the library of Sir Thomas Phillipps; "Phillipps MS 21154" above text on recto of first leaf.Manuscript copy of selected chapters from Leonardo's Trattato della pittura, probably from the first printed edition in Italian of 1651, edited by Raphael Du Fresne. Text of the manuscript begins and ends as the first edition of 1651, with 365 chapters, captions, and numbers. The unique element of this copy is the addition of three sections which do not appear in any of the other handwritten copies or in the printed editions. For a complete transcription of these three added chapters of Belt MS 34, see Steinitz, Appendix 7, page 232.
Contents:1. ff. 1-3v, [Dowry and wives’ rights, ff. 1-2:] //[I]sta securitas potest continuari ad superiora ista forma(?). De quibusdam renuntiationibus ab uxore factis in precedentibus ... et non valent si ex intervallo apponentur etc. Presens securitas potest continuari ad superiora ista forma(?). De personis presentibus qui habent ... non tam competit actio mandata sed actio magna gesta. [Emphiteusis, ff. 2-3v:] [I]n isto instrumento auctor facit de concessione facta in emphiteosim a monasterio ... renovationes tamen fiunt sine predictis solennitatibus etc. [f. 3v:] [Q]uia quam fiunt renovationes ceteris temporibus ... et sic nota quod non dominus vincit dominum. [D]e concessione in emphyteosim facta ab ecclesia in precedentibus est ... consensus capituli interveniat si solvatur pensio per multis annis.//2. f. 4r-v, [Perhaps part of the introduction to this commentary:] Questiones et ad istas lites deducendas et resecandas ... et de ista loquamur. Am[illeg., 1or 2 words covered with offset from another text]. [E]xpositis generalibus documentis que in principio aliorum librorum solent dici ... quod ipse facere dignetur qui vivit per infinita secula seculorum Amen. Amemus. [U]sis generalibus documentis et exposita nostri libri ... quia scio quod meo erunt//3. ff. 5-6v, [Alienation, ff. 5-6v:] [P]resens instrumentum potest continuari ad superiora ista forma. De vendicionibus factis a privatis personis ... nichil ad presens. [I]stud instrumentum potest continuari ad superiora ista forma. De vendicione facta ab ecclesia in precedentibus est dictum ... et hic facias idem quo in precedenti dixi. [H]ic incipit secunda pars et ultima istius capituli in qua auctor ponit de alienationibus rerum mobilium ... in quibus habeo usufructum, incendio combuste sunt vel(?) earum vicio cerverunt tunc usufructus perit. [Serfdom, f. 6v:] [I]n isto presenti instrumento et sequenti auctor tractat de servitutibus et hoc dupliciter. Primo tractat de servitute rustica ... sed nostro modo accepta sic diff//4. ff. 7-8v, [Commercial law; text on 7r-v and 8r-v badly rubbed, making it impossible even to distinguish recto from verso. Two headings are legible; f. 7;] Pro certo pretio debet esse triplex ... [f. 8:] Questiones fidejussoris prestationes ...5. f. 9-12v, [Contracts:] //aliqua non bene dicta nam impossibile est ... suscepi vehementi affectione ut accedat demum(?) institutis ruina itaque ope(?) etc. [V]isis que in nostro prohemio restat nunc ut veniamus ad instrumenta ... et nota cum dicit arrarum conventione verborum [1 word illeg.] inter partes. [f. 9v:] [H]ic auctor noster voluit(?) tractare de prima parte note scilicet de contractibus et pactis ... [f. 11v:] si vere sunt date nomine arrarum// [lacuna of one or more folios; f. 12r:] Quia facit venditio in scriptis alias [hole] et hoc de secundo. Venio ad tercium ... quod quedam sunt voluntates(?) et// [catchword: quedam necessaria]Unbound.
Written in Italy probably in the early sixteenth century, to judge from script and watermark. This codex dates from the time when scholars were arguing the authenticity of the Areopagite attribution. Ex libris effaced, f. l bottom margin. English typed label, s.XIXex, on front pastedown, on which is the number 75. Acquired from Krown & Spellman, 20 August 1988, by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Manuscript book of hours for the use of Rouen, written and illuminated in Rouen, France sometime during the 15th century. Includes the typical common elements of a book of hours: church year calendar in French; readings from the Gospels; Hours of the Virgin, a set of eight devotional texts in Latin, one to be recited at each of the eight canonical hours of the day; penitential psalms, litany of saints, prayers for the dead, and prayers to the Virgin. Script: Latin text in gothic hand in black, with instructions in red ink, 15 lines per page; months of the calendar illuminated in gold, with saints' days written in red or blue ink. Illustrations: includes 11 large miniatures within arched frames, of scenes from the life of Christ (Annunciation, Nativity, Crucifixion, Pietà), as well as portraits of the four Evangelists, King David with his harp, and St. Michael overcoming the devil; donor portrait on verso of leaf 53; all miniatures vividly colored and illuminated in red, blue, green, rose, black, and white; enclosed by richly painted and illuminated borders of arabesques, leafy branches, flowers and strawberry vines; illuminated floral borders along text margins; large and small illuminated rose and blue capitals. Binding: bound in blind-stamped calf over boards by Cambridge stationer and bookbinder Nicholas Spierinck, with date of 1520 supplied by Ferrari; upper and lower boards decorated with small blind-tooled square stamps containing figures of beasts and birds, and the device of binder with his initials "N" and "S," arranged in intersecting horizontal and vertical rows; vellum endpapers; all edges gilt. In modern beige cloth and brown leather clamshell box having gold-stamped spine title "Book of Hours." Provenance: From the library of Viscount Lee of Fareham, White Lodge, Richmond Park. A gift to Dr. Elmer Belt from Evelyn Cushman, 1954. Dr. Belt's illustrated bookplate on recto of front endleaf, with caption "From the House of Belt."In Latin and French.
Written in northern Italy in the last quarter of the thirteenth century. The opening words of the sermon on f. 183 — “Sicut dixi vobis hec mane” (As I said to you this morning …) — imply a community; observances for Saint Clare and Saint Antony of Padua, and the translation of Saint Francis with its indication that other feasts of Francis were observed (f. 285v), suggest a Franciscan origin. Purchased from Bernard Rosenthal, San Francisco in November 1985 by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Written in Hertfordshire, England, around 1571. The roll was in continual use for several years thereafter, as evidenced by frequent additions to entries (added in the blank space beneath the original entry) recording that the land in question had been granted to the son, sons, daughter, or widow of the original tenant. Annotations in the left-hand margin occasionally testify to further changes, as at f. 11: “Thomas Balden holdeth the messuage and yard & half land called Baylies in fee the rent wherof is xxvis [shillings] viiid [pence]”; and at f. 3: “Nowe James Woode.” Further evidence of continued use is suggested by a repeated signature that appears frequently next to entries throughout ff. 1-12 (at ff. 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12). Folio 3 also contains, uniquely, a second signature mark and the words “Chirch Stile” in a later [post-secretary?] hand. Folios 13-18 show no signs of later modification; these entries are generally very short, often only 1-2 lines, in contrast to the longer entries (frequently running well over five lines) on ff. 1-12. Belonged to Thomas Wakeman (b. 1788), a descendant of Richard Wakeman of Beckford (see “Wakeman of Graig House” in John Burke et al., Burke’s Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry vol. 1 pt. 2, 4th ed. [London 1863] p. 1585; also Munby p. 163: “‘Ex dono Thomae Wakeman armig.’ Noted by Phillipps in my [Munby’s] copy of the catalogue: probably Thomas Wakeman of the Graig Co. Monmouth.”). On the dorse of f. 1 (the opening “page” of the bound volume) “Wakeman mss. / No. 8” is written in ink in a modern hand; it appears to have been written over an earlier note in pencil, also in a modern hand: “Wakeman / mss. 810.” The present roll may be one of several copies, this one made for Richard Wakeman, as is suggested by references to another “copie,” as on f. 4: “the lorde grauntyth to Robert sone of the sayd John the rent doth not appere in the copie” and f. 11: “the sayd Margerie doth hold halff a yard of land not expressed in the copie.” Acquired from Thomas Wakeman by Sir Thomas Phillipps, his no. 7890 (paper label, originally on spine), before 1840. Sold at Bloomsbury Auctions, 17 Sept. 1998, lot 14, to Krown & Spellman. Bought from Krown & Spellman by Richard and Mary Rouse on 12 Dec. 1998. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Written in Paris in the mid-fifteenth century. Two generations of births are recorded in the calendar for the periods 1543-1549 and 1573-1585. There are notes (badly faded) about the intermarried families of Petit and Cheron on virtually every folio of the calendar, mostly in the spacious bottom margin. Verse f. 120v: “L’an mil cinq cent soixante neuf / entre Coignac et Casteauneuf / fut porté mort sur une anesse / le grand ennemy(?) de la messe.” Ex libris f. iv: “Ces presentes heures appartient a Claude Petit femme de Barthelemey Cheron, demourant a Arulommiers en Boys” and another on f. 120 (last flyleaf): “Jadiz fuz a Marguerite Touart en son vivante femme de Jehan[?] Cheron qui estoit [sic] pere & mere de Barthelemy Cheron …” continued with notes in successive hands tracing the descent of the book in the same family until the 18th century, mentioning names of a later Jehan Cheron and of Maître Pierre Cheron. Lot 641 in an unidentified 19th-century American sale (printed paper label on front pastedown). Bought by William Tasker in whose family it remained; for other manuscripts belonging to Tasker see lots 63 (Michael of Belluno, Speculum conscientie, Italy 1404, from the same 19th -century American sale) and 67 (Ps. Albertus Magnus, Liber speculi, De veris virtutibus, Germany 1473) in the same Sotheby’s sale catalog. Acquired from Sotheby’s London, 17 June 1997, lot 75, by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Once part of a prayerbook probably written in the fifteenth century in the archdiocese of Utrecht. Brevity of the calendar and the pocket size suggest personal use. Separately bound since at least 1861 when it was sold by the London publisher and bookseller John Camden Hotten (1832-1873; DNB  9.1310-1311): on rear flyleaf (older paper), “from J.C. Hotten’s Catalogue (A.D. 1861) Part xxxiv no. 259.” Acquired in 1912 by the British historian and liturgist Francis C. Eeles (1876-1954), who in 1940 gave it to his secretary Judith D. G. Scott, who wrote Eeles’s memoir in 1956: in ink on front pastedown, “Ex libris Francisci C. Eeles 1912” and “For Judith on her birthday 6th March 1940 with many happy returns of the day. F. C. Eeles” (see J.D.G. Scott, F. C. Eeles, King’s College Chapel Aberdeen … Memoir of Dr. F. C. Eeles [Aberdeen 1956], pp. ix-xxii). Note on first flyleaf in Eeles’ hand: “Kalendar from a Book of the Hours of the Blessed Virgin Mary according to the Use of Utrecht.” The book was probably sold with Judith Scott’s estate after her death. Catalog or sale number, f. i, “CR 387.” Bought from Kenneth Karmiole Bookseller Inc., Santa Monica, CA, by Richard and Mary Rouse in December 1989. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Written in Italy or S. France in the early 14th century, after the canonization of Louis of Toulouse in 1317 (19 Aug.); the date 1470 repeated on f. 7v is not consistent with the appearance of the manuscript, and was presumably just used as an example to demonstrate the working of the Paschal table. The saints named in red letters (Maurus, Benedict, Romanus, Audax and Anatolia, Scholastica, the dedication of Subiaco) and the use of the full twelve lectiones (rather than nine) for important days indicate a Benedictine origin. Used by laymen by the sixteenth century; births and deaths mentioned in the margins of f. 1v (“obiit Johannes[?]” and “obiit Jacobus,” both dated Feb. 1532), f. 2v (“natus tertius filius, Jacobus,” dated Apr. 1538), f. 5 (“natus Jodocus,” dated Sept. 1527), f. 6r (“Clemens natus,” dated Nov. 1525) and f. 6v (“obiit Clemens,” dated Dec. 1531). Belonged to a German owner (dealer) whose typed description is with the manuscript. Date in pencil f. 7v bottom: “15/8/1934.” Sold at Swann Galleries, New York, to Krown & Spellman, Culver City, CA. Bought from Krown & Spellman in June 1990 by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
The original manuscript was written in Germany in the second half of the fifteenth century or beginning of the sixteenth, a collection copied by its owner for personal use. Cut up and used as binding scrap. The pieces were glued to strips of brown paper; the scraps comprising E were glued in arbitrary arrangement. Bernhard Bischoff has left two identical penciled notes on the modern paper: “XVI Kursive, Predigten.” Gift of Bernard Rosenthal, San Francisco, in August 1988 to Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Written in Italy, to judge from the pen-flourishing; written on the top line, which would indicate the first half of the thirteenth century, but the date of the sermons’ composition require instead a date in the last decades of the century. Dealer’s (?) mark Nv8o in upper right corner of f. 1. Bought from H.P. Kraus (“Mss. file # 409B”) by Richard and Mary Rouse in February 1989. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Written in the second half of the thirteenth century in an area with Germanic influence on script forms, probably in the diocese of Liège to judge from the saints mentioned. St. Odulf (Utrecht) suggests the border area between the archdiocese of Cologne and the diocese of Liège, while both Domitian of Maestricht and especially the translation of Lambert of Maestricht point to Liège and the Brabant. Probably from the Phillipps collection. Bought from H.P. Kraus, New York, in 1983 by Richard and Mary Rouse, along with other fragments including Rouse MS 105 (see for modern provenance). Given to UCLA in 2005.
Physical description:Paper (very thin), 3 leaves (a separate leaf and a bifolium), 265 x 193 (218 x 138) mm. In 2 columns of 50 to 60 lines, not ruled. Written by one scribe in a late batarde script. The ink has bled through, making the text hard to read.