Written in Campania, probably in Naples to judge from the watermark and later ownership; there were two houses dedicated to St. Gaudiosus in Naples, one of which (a nunnery) also enclosed a church devoted to St. Fortunata (Cottineau 2.2035). Belonged in the 17th century to Aurelia Carrafa (signature vertically in the inner margin of f. 12 and again on f. 13), member of an illustrious Neapolitan family, probably from the branch of the princes of San Lorenzo; the Carafa women had close ties through the generations with the convent of San Gaudioso (see B. Aldimari, Historia genealogica della famiglia Carafa [Naples 1691] 367). Bought from Les Enluminures, Paris (their TM 366), by Richard and Mary Rouse. Given to UCLA in 2005.
Decoration:Major initials in alternating red and blue with pen infilling and flourishing. Large initials alternating in red and blue and pen-flourished, occasionally with faces (ff. 114v, 124, 125v). Mid-sized initials in black on green, occasionally with pen faces colored tan (ff. 119r-v, 124v, 125, unnumbered fragment verso). An erroneous large red initial A[lorificamus] on f. 187 has a discreet contemporary mauve G with harping inserted beside it.