The Rancho Drive-In in San Diego was built in the same year (1948) as the Edwards Drive-In in Arcadia. Although no construction photos survive, the construction technique was presumably similar. In this example, Lee used the street side of the screen structure to feature a colorful mural-like scene of the Mexican landscape illuminated from behind, a cultural reference appropriate to the border city of San Diego.
Lakewood's shopping center in the foreground is surrounded by vacant fields. The houses of the new community are going up in the background. An older village, Quincy, at lower left, will soon be surrounded by the new town. Two blocks at left center are marked as designated for a "City College."