Manuscript No. 9: Giardino Spirituale, A.D. 1693
- Manuscript No. 9: Giardino Spirituale, A.D. 1693
- Uniform title
- Partēz hogevor
- Date Created
- A.D. 1693
- Armenian Manuscripts
- The codex is a copy of the collection of readings and prayers known as the “Giardino Spirituale” (Partez Hogevor), composed by an anonymous author and rendered into Armenian by Yovhannes Kostandnupolsec‘I Holov (1635-91), who is known as a grammarian and translator of Latin works.
- According to the colophon on fols. 165-166, the book was written by the scribe Barsegh, son of Azarie and Yulapxan, at the city of Surat in India. The writing was completed on the 10th of T ‘eray (= Sept. 26) in the year 1142 of the Armenian Era (= A.D. 1693). There are no inscriptions indicating the later history of the codex, and we have no information as to when and from whom Dr. Minasian acquired the book.
- Table of Contents
- The book’s contents are as follows:Fol. 1. Title page (see below).Fols. 1v-165. Twelve readings and prayers on the following themes: Vestments for the Divine Liturgy; Divine Liturgy; Encomium on the Crucified Christ; Saints Elizabeth and Bridget; Devotion to the Holy Theotokos; Litany on the Holy Theotokos; Litany on Jesus; Litany on all Saints; On Deceased Bishops and Priests; Nocturnal prayer agains Beliar; Counsel to Laymen Attending Holy Mass; Counsel for family members. (The Armenian version of the “Giardino Spirituale” went through ten editions during the years 1670-1787. Fols. 165-166. Colophon dated A.D. 1693.Fol. 166v. Blank.
- 166 folios
- 7.5X4.5 cm.
- Illustrations note
- The meager illumination in this codex consists of first lines in purple and red ink, with larger initials in purple or orange.
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library Special Collections
- Copyright Status
- public domain
- No license recorded