Historic locket, Los Angeles, 1936
- Historic locket, Los Angeles, 1936
- Los Angeles Times
- Date Created
- February 21, 1936
- Los Angeles Times Photographs Collection
Story related to photograph appears with the article, "Hair From Head of Washington Owned Here," Los Angeles Times, 22 Feb 1936: A3.
The history of the locket's ownership is traced as such: after Washington's death it was given to Col. Tonsard. In 1916 it was given to Maud Yoder by Mr. and Mrs. Harry Stocker - Mrs. Stocker's maiden name was Clara Baldwin, daughter of E.J. Baldwin. Col. Tonsard is assumed to be an ancestor of Stocker's mother, who was a friend of Maud Yoder. And now it is in the possession of Chas A. Kemper.
The hair wraps around the locket, framing the center inscription which reads "of the deceased friend of fellow soldier George Washington".
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Dept. of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Copyright Status
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: email@example.com. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.