Evidence in the trial of William Edward Hickman for the kidnapping and murder of Marion Parker, 1928.
- Evidence in the trial of William Edward Hickman for the kidnapping and murder of Marion Parker, 1928.
- Los Angeles Daily News
- Date Created
- [between 1-1928 and 4-1928]
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Daily News Negatives
- Evidence in the trial of William Edward Hickman, b.1908-d.1928. Hickman was convicted of the kidnapping and murder of 12-year-old Marion Parker. Hickman abducted Parker from her school, claiming her father, a prominent local banker, was in the hospital and had requested to see her. After kidnapping Marion, Hickman sent ransom notes to her family, who agreed to pay a sum of $1500 for her return. However, when her father delivered the money at the agreed-upon time and location, the kidnapper drove off, dumping Marion Parker's dismembered corpse into the street as he fled.A massive manhunt began for Marion's killer. Police pieced together evidence leading them to suspect Hickman, a former employee of the Parker family, who had been arrested due to a complaint by Mr. Parker involving forged checks several years prior. One week after Marion's corpse was discovered, two officers in a coffee shop in Echo, OR recognized Hickman from wanted posters plastered up and down the west coast.Eventually, Hickman confessed to another murder, as well as a dozen armed robberies. Although his lawyers attempted to plead insanity for Hickman, the jury convicted him of murder, and he was sentenced to death. Hickman died by hanging in San Quentin prison in 1928.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.
- Copyright Status
- Rights Country
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (310)825-4988
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .