Relief sculpture of St. John by Salvatore Cartiano Scarpitta in St. John's Episcopal Church, Los Angeles, circa 1925-1939
- Relief sculpture of St. John by Salvatore Cartiano Scarpitta in St. John's Episcopal Church, Los Angeles, circa 1925-1939
- Davis, Walter Swindell, 1887-1973 and Davis, Francis Pierpont
- Los Angeles Times
- Date Created
- [circa 1925-1939]
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographs Collection
Salvatore Cartiano Scarpitta was born in Palermo, Italy, graduated from the Accademia di Belli Arti di Palermo and worked primarily as a sculptor. He immigrated to the United States in 1910. His first studio was in New York, and in 1923 he settled in Los Angeles where he completed numerous public sculptures including work for sculptures at the St. John's Episcopal Church, the California Palace of the Legion of Honor and the bas relief over the entrance of the Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center. During Benito Mussolini’s era of power in the 1930s Scarpitta executed a bust of the Italian dictator to be displayed in Rome. Scarpitta was awarded a prize by the American Institute of Architects for the three panels over the entrance of the Los Angeles Stock Exchange, and also designed a marble relief over the entrance to the Stock Exchange's board room. Biographical statements credit Scarpitta with the sculptures at the "Church of the Sacred Blood" which may actually be the Church of the Precious Blood completed in 1926.
St. John's Episcopal Church was designed by the Davis and Davis Architects northern Italian Romanesque. The sculpture was created by Salvatore Cartiano Scarpitta. The church was completed in 1925 and is located at 514 W. Adams Blvd.
Interior view towards the high altar, with the lectern in the foreground. The lectern is of marble and has a relief carving of St. John by the sculptor Salvatore Cartiano Scarpitta. The church is located at 514 W. Adams Blvd.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
Historic buildings--California--Los Angeles
Romanesque revival (Architecture)--California--Los Angeles
- St. John's Episcopal Church (Los Angeles, Calif.)
- Los Angeles (Calif.)
- Resource Type
- still image
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Copyright Status
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.