Griffith Observatory, exterior view of the main facade after the May opening, Los Angeles, 1935
- Griffith Observatory, exterior view of the main facade after the May opening, Los Angeles, 1935
- Austin, John C. W. (John Corneby Wilson), 1870-1963 and Ashley, Frederick M., 1887-1963
- Los Angeles Times
- Date Created
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographs Collection
The Griffith Observatory was created using a design developed by architects John C. Austin and Frederick M. Ashley based on preliminary sketches by Russell W. Porter.
View of visitors attending the newly completed Griffith Observatory and Astronomers Monument.
The original concrete surface is visible; consistent with other similar architecture of the day, the Observatory's concrete walls were left unpainted in the 1930s and 1940s.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
Astronomical observatories--California--Los Angeles
- Griffith Observatory
- Los Angeles (Calif.)
- Resource Type
- still image
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Copyright Status
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: email@example.com. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.