Violinist Fritz Kreisler and sculptor Arnold Foerster at the unveiling of Foerster's statue of Beethoven in Pershing Square, Los Angeles, 1932
- Violinist Fritz Kreisler and sculptor Arnold Foerster at the unveiling of Foerster's statue of Beethoven in Pershing Square, Los Angeles, 1932
- Los Angeles Times
- Date Created
- [circa 1932-1939]
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographs Collection
Noted Southern California sculptor Arnold Foerster created public sculpture mostly in bronze. He was born in Vienna and lived in Glendale from at least 1932 up to his death in 1943. Foerster is best-known for his statues of Ludwig van Beethoven (at Pershing Square), 1932; General Lafayette (at Lafayette Park), 1937; his collaborative role in the creation of the Astronomers Monument for the Griffith Park Observatory (which was his original concept and for which he engineered the 40 foot concrete obelisk), 1934; and his bronze bust of Griffith J. Griffith (for the Observatory), 1934. Los Angeles Times articles also mention bronze busts of Brahms and Father Juniperro, 1933; a three-times-life-size bust of Christ, 1934; and statues of Abraham Lincoln and Rasputin, seen in his studio.
Friedrich "Fritz" Kreisler was an Austrian-born violinist and composer. One of the most famous violin masters of his or any other day, and regarded as one of the greatest violinists of all time, he was known for his sweet tone and expressive phrasing.
Violinist Fritz Kreisler and sculptor Arnold Foerster at the unveiling of Foerster's statue of Beethoven in Pershing Square. The statue was a WPA (Works Progress Administration) project Kreisler stands next to a wreath at the base of the statue, which was installed on the Olive Street side of Pershing Square, opposite the Los Angeles Philharmonic Auditorium.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
Pershing Square (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Public sculpture--California--Los Angeles
Foerster, Arnold, 1878-1943
Kreisler, Fritz, 1875-1962
- Los Angeles (Calif.)
- Resource Type
- still image
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Copyright Status
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: email@example.com. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.