Suspects Fred Stettler and Emyt Lentz (Sokolis) in court for the murder of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Barbour, Los Angeles, 1936
- Suspects Fred Stettler and Emyt Lentz (Sokolis) in court for the murder of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Barbour, Los Angeles, 1936
- Los Angeles Times
- Date Created
- February 23, 1936
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographs Collection
25-year-old Swiss chauffeur Gottfried "Fred" Stettler is being held in suspicion of the murder of Mr. and Mrs. Carl and Dorothea Barbour. Car dealer Emyt Lentz claimed Stettler confessed to the murders then repudiated his story. Lentz was held and then exonerated. Stettler was charged with two counts of murder, two counts of burglary, and one count of arson. The victims were found partially cremated in bed with their skulls smashed.
Date taken from the catalog record of another photograph of Stettler and Lentz, which references the newspaper article rather than the negative sleeve.
Another photograph of Stettler and Lentz taken on the same occasion appears with the article, "Dual Killing Quiz Grows," Los Angeles Times, 23 Feb. 1936: 9.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
Judicial proceedings--California--Los Angeles
Criminal investigations--California--Los Angeles
Sokolis, Emyt L. (Emyt Leon), 1890-1968
Stettler, Gottfried, b. 1911
- Los Angeles (Calif.)
- Resource Type
- still image
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Dept. of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Copyright Status
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: email@example.com. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds. and Access to this collection is generously supported by Haynes Foundation funds.