Clergy, civic leaders and artist standing in nave with dome and Iconostasis behind them during opening of St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Los Angeles, 1952
- Clergy, civic leaders and artist standing in nave with dome and Iconostasis behind them during opening of St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Los Angeles, 1952
- Kalionzes, Gus (William), 1910-1984, Walker, Kalionzes & Klingerman, Architects, Walker, Albert R. (Albert Raymond), 1881-1958, and Klingerman, Charles A. (Arthur), 1912-1988
- Los Angeles Daily News
- Date Created
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Daily News Negatives
This photograph appears with the article, "Cathedral of St. Sophia to Open Doors Sept. 28, New Church, Erected at Cost of $2,000,000, Will Be Center ofGreek Orthodoxy in U.S." Los Angeles Times, 15 Sept. 1952: A1.
View towards the Iconostasis (Iconostasion) and apse of Saint Sophia Cathedral with a painting of the Virgin Mary arms outstretched and a medalion icon of the Christ-child in front of her. She is represented here as the Queen of Heaven, ready to receive the faithful to the Gates of Heaven. Inscribed in Greek on the arch of the Sanctuary, the translation proclaims: "This is the Gate of Heaven." The painting is 33 feet in diameter and the face is 7 1/2 feet in diameter.
St. Sophia Cathedral, located at 1324 South Normandy Ave., opened in 1952. It was commissioned by theater executive Charles R. Skouras. Designed by the firm Walker, Kalionzes & Klingerman, it is frequently attributed to Gus Kalionzes. Artist William Chavalas, who trained at the Academy of arts in Athens and was the artistic director at 20th Century Fox designing film sets and movie theaters, created the wall paintings and designed the stained glass. The crystal chandeliers are Czechoslovakian. St. Sophia is Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #120.
- 1 photograph
- 10 x 12.5 cm.
- b&w negative
Orthodox Eastern church buildings--California--Los Angeles
Orthodox Eastern Church--Bishops
Byzantine revival (Architecture)--California--Los Angeles
Greek Americans--California--Los Angeles County--Religion
Skouras, Charles P., 1889-1954
Kokkinakis, Athenagoras T.
Mellos, Athanasios, 1895-1977
Saint Sophia Cathedral (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Chavalas, William T. (Tryphon), 1886-1956
- Los Angeles (Calif.)
- Resource Type
- still image
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Copyright Status
- Rights Country
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (310)825-4988
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .