Oakland float at the Tournament of Roses Parade, January, 1939
- Oakland float at the Tournament of Roses Parade, January, 1939
- Los Angeles Times
- Date Created
- January 2, 1939
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographs Collection
A different photograph of the same float appears with the headline, “Burbank Wins Rose Tournament Sweepstakes and Oakland Takes Theme Prize,” Los Angeles Times, 3 Jan 1939: B
The 1939 Tournament of Roses theme was Golden Jubilee to mark the 50th anniversary of the parade. Shirley Temple served as Grand Marshal.
The theme for Oakland’s float was “Treasure Island,” depicted here with four sea horses carrying a net filled with treasure and Captain John Silver perched on top. It won the Theme Prize.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Dept. of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Copyright Status
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: email@example.com. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds. and Access to this collection is generously supported by Haynes Foundation funds.