Boy Scouts of America float at the Tournament of Roses Parade, Pasadena, 1939
- Boy Scouts of America float at the Tournament of Roses Parade, Pasadena, 1939
- Los Angeles Times
- Date Created
- January 2, 1939
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographs Collection
Different photographs taken on the same occasion appear with the article, "Romance and Fantasy Feature Spectacle," Los Angeles Times, 03 Jan 1939: 3, 12.
Boy Scouts of America's parade float is seen in the front, followed by the University of Southern California float.
The 1939 Tournament of Roses theme was Golden Jubilee to mark the 50th anniversary of the parade. Shirley Temple served as Grand Marshal.
The "Golden Memories of Boyhood" float depicted an old-fashioned schoolhouse. 10-year-old Cub Scout David Levering sits in the back near the flag pole. At the front of the float are J. E. Orton, veteran San Gabriel Scout counselor, 18-year-old Gilbert Kinney, Sea Scout of Aurora Troop No. 10 in Pasadena, and 19-year-old Jim Willott, Eagle Scout of Troop No. 3 in Arcadia.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
Parades & processions--California--Pasadena
Orton, J. E.
Kinney, Gilbert, (Gilbert Livingston), 1921-1941
Boy Scouts of America
Tournament of Roses
- Pasadena (Calif.)
- Resource Type
- still image
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Dept. of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Copyright Status
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: email@example.com. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Haynes Foundation funds. and Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.