Machine in use at a work bench at the F. E. Olds and Son plant, Los Angeles, 1933-1939
- Machine in use at a work bench at the F. E. Olds and Son plant, Los Angeles, 1933-1939
- Connell, Will, 1898-1961
- Date Created
- [between 1933 to 1939]
- Connell (Will) Papers
Close-up view of the hands of a technician working a machine used in the production of brass horns (cornets, trumpets and trombones) at a work bench at the F. E. Olds and Son plant. An array of rod-like metal tools are stored standing up on a wooden block behind the machine and small wheels are on the bench on the left with metal tubing on a shelf above. The technician's face and visor are just visible on the right.
F. E. Olds was a manufacturer of musical instruments founded by Frank Ellsworth Olds in Los Angeles, in the early 1900s. The company made brass instruments, especially trombones, cornets, and trumpets. Olds was joined by his son Reginald Birdsall (R.B.) Olds in 1920. Their address was 1914 Raymond Ave., Los Angeles, from about 1922 to 1956. The company was purchased by Chicago Musical Instruments after World War II, and went out of business in 1979.
This photograph appears on page 24 of a catalog of the Chicago Musical Instrument Co. which is dated to 1933 or later (because it contains a reference to Radio City Music Hall which opened in December 1932).
- 1 photographic negative
- b&w nitrate negative
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.