Duke, a Bengal tiger at the California Zoological Gardens, Los Angeles, 1936
- Duke, a Bengal tiger at the California Zoological Gardens, Los Angeles, 1936
- Date Created
- September 19, 1936
- Los Angeles Times
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographic Collection
Similar photograph appears with the article, "Tiger Does Man Mountain Act With Lioness in Cage," Los Angeles Times, 20 Sep 1936: 10.
At the California Zoological Gardens Duke, a 600-pound Bengal tiger, attacked June, an adult mountain lion, dislocating her vertebra and elbow. The tiger tore through the wire netting between the two cages that separated them. June is reported as healing but very temperamental from the incident. Duke was successfully sedated.
From behind the bars of his cage Duke stands on his hind legs and snarls.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights contact
- UCLA Library Special Collections, A1713 Charles E. Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. Email: email@example.com. Phone: (310) 825-4988
- Rights Holder
- The Regents of the University of California
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .