Cornerstone of the old County Courthouse, Los Angeles, 1936
- Cornerstone of the old County Courthouse, Los Angeles, 1936
- Date Created
- May 12, 1936
- Los Angeles Times
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographic Collection
The cornerstone of the Los Angeles County Courthouse, built in 1888 and demolished in 1936. A portion of the archway can be seen in the top left corner, with a man standing on top of it. A portion of the crowd is also visible.
One of the cornerstones of the old County Courthouse, which was located on the corner of Temple and Broadway, was opened to reveal a box from 1888 when the foundation was laid. Among the contents was an eight-page issue of the Los Angeles Times. The ceremony was led by Marshall Stimson, president of the Historical Society of Southern California, and Joseph Mesmer, president of the Pioneer Society.
A different photograph from the same occasion appears with the article, “Courthouse Seal Opened,” Los Angeles Times, 13 May 1936: A1, 5.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights contact
- UCLA Library Special Collections, A1713 Charles E. Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. Email: email@example.com. Phone: (310) 825-4988
- Rights Holder
- The Regents of the University of California
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .