Crowd gathers to view contents of 1888 County Courthouse cornerstone, Los Angeles, 1936
- Crowd gathers to view contents of 1888 County Courthouse cornerstone, Los Angeles, 1936
- Date Created
- May 12, 1936
- Los Angeles Times
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographic Collection
An aerial view of the crowd gathered to view the contents of a box sealed in the cornerstone of the 1888 County Courthouse that was demolished earlier that year. An orchestra is situated on the left portion of the wooden platform. The photograph was likely taken from the top of the rubble and remaining walls. Temple Street is visible behind the crowd.
A different photograph taken on the same occasion appears with the article, “Courthouse Seal Opened,” Los Angeles Times, 13 May 1936: A1, 5.
One of the cornerstones of the old County Courthouse, which was located on the corner of Temple and Broadway, was opened to reveal a box from 1888 when the foundation was laid. Among the contents was an eight-page issue of the Los Angeles Times. The ceremony was led by Marshall Stimson, president of the Historical Society of Southern California, and Joseph Mesmer, president of the Pioneer Society.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights contact
- UCLA Library Special Collections, A1713 Charles E. Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (310) 825-4988
- Rights Holder
- The Regents of the University of California
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .