Two girls doing shores in front of a house, Turkey, 1895
- Two girls doing shores in front of a house, Turkey, 1895
- Sachtleben, William Lewis
- Date Created
- Sachtleben (William Lewis) Papers. Collection 1841
Photograph of two girls doing chores in front of a house. The girl in the front has metal pot suspended from the ends of a pole. She wears a head scarf, short jacket, long skirt and boots. The other girl, turned away, wears a head scarf and mid-length coat. They are next to a wooden trough and low stone wall. In the background, up a slope between 2 houses, is a wattle fence.
This photograph was most probably taken in 1895, when William Sachtleben was in Turkey to investigate the disappearance of cyclist Frank Lenz who had last been seen near Erzurum. Notes accompanying negatives indicate that during this trip, Sachtleben was in Bursa and travelled from Trabzon to Erzurum. Sachtleben's 1891 photographs of his bicycle tour across Asia have a circular format.
- 1 photographic negative
- b&w nitrate negative
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Dept. of Special Collections
- Local Identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- public domain
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.