Suspects Fred Stettler and Emyt Lentz (Sokolis) in court for the murder of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Barbour, Los Angeles, 1936
- Suspects Fred Stettler and Emyt Lentz (Sokolis) in court for the murder of Mr. and Mrs. Carl Barbour, Los Angeles, 1936
- Date Created
- February 23, 1936
- Los Angeles Times
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographic Collection
25-year-old Swiss chauffeur Gottfried "Fred" Stettler is being held in suspicion of the murder of Mr. and Mrs. Carl and Dorothea Barbour. Car dealer Emyt Lentz claimed Stettler confessed to the murders then repudiated his story. Lentz was held and then exonerated. Stettler was charged with two counts of murder, two counts of burglary, and one count of arson. The victims were found partially cremated in bed with their skulls smashed.
Another photograph of Stettler and Lentz taken on the same occasion appears with the article, "Dual Killing Quiz Grows," Los Angeles Times, 23 Feb. 1936: 9.
Date taken from the catalog record of another photograph of Stettler and Lentz, which references the newspaper article rather than the negative sleeve.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
Criminal investigations--California--Los Angeles
Judicial proceedings--California--Los Angeles
Stettler, Gottfried, b. 1911
Sokolis, Emyt L. (Emyt Leon), 1890-1968
- Los Angeles (Calif.)
- Resource type
- still image
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights contact
- UCLA Library Special Collections, A1713 Charles E. Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. Email: email@example.com. Phone: (310) 825-4988
- Rights Holder
- The Regents of the University of California
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.
Access to this collection is generously supported by Haynes Foundation funds.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .