William Sachtleben, Thomas Allen, Basilios Kapsambelis and 2 Greek men in front of the Parthenon, Athens, 1891
- William Sachtleben, Thomas Allen, Basilios Kapsambelis and 2 Greek men in front of the Parthenon, Athens, 1891
- Sachtleben, William Lewis
- Date Created
- March 13, 1891
- Sachtleben (William Lewis) Papers. Collection 1841
Basilios Georgiou Kapsambelis was Chief Quartermaster of the Royal Navy in Greece; he was also president of the "Piraeus Cycling Association".
View of, from L to R, William Sachtleben, wearing a cap, Thomas Allen, wearing a fez or tarboush type hat, Basilios Kapsambelis (probably), wearing a bowler hat, and 2 Greek men in traditional dress on the Acropolis in front of the Parthenon. Sachtleben and Allen stand next to their Humber bicycles. The 2 men on the right each wear a white pleated foustanella, white socks and pointed shoes called tsarouhia.
Photograph taken during William Lewis Sachtleben's stay in Athens before embarking on a bicycle journey across Asia with Thomas Gaskell Allen Jr.
- 1 photographic negative
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
Sachtleben, William Lewis
Parthenon (Athens, Greece)
Allen, Thomas Gaskell
Kapsambelis, Basilios Georgiou, 1866-1929
- Resource type
- still image
Greek temples -- Greece -- Athens
Acropolis (Athens, Greece)
Bicycle touring -- Greece
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library Special Collections
- Local Identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- public domain
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.