Serope Gurdjian, Basilios Kapsambelis and Thomas Allen taking refreshment at the railroad station, Athens, 1891
- Serope Gurdjian, Basilios Kapsambelis and Thomas Allen taking refreshment at the railroad station, Athens, 1891
- Sachtleben, William Lewis
- Date Created
- January 10, 1891
- Sachtleben (William Lewis) Papers. Collection 1841
Basilios Georgiou Kapsambelis was Chief Quartermaster of the Royal Navy in Greece; he was also president of the "Piraeus Cycling Association".
Photograph of Serope Gurdjian (L), Basilios Kapsambelis (center) and Thomas Allen (R) taking refreshment at an outdoor cafe table at the railroad station in Athens with a bicycle parked in front of them.
Serope Armenag Gurdjian was an Armenian from Turkey who became a naturalized U.S. citizen and earned a college degree from Bowdoin College in 1877. Having been detained in Istanbul in October 1890 on suspicion of participating in a revolutionary committee, he was released based on his U.S. citizenship and then traveled to Athens, where he met and befriended William Sachtleben and Thomas Allen.
Photograph taken during William Lewis Sachtleben's stay in Athens before embarking on a bicycle journey across Asia with Thomas Gaskell Allen Jr.
- 1 photographic negative
- b&w nitrate negative
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- public domain
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.