Suicide notes found on the body of A. R. Driskell, grandfather of Welby Hunt, Los Angeles, 1927-1928
- Suicide notes found on the body of A. R. Driskell, grandfather of Welby Hunt, Los Angeles, 1927-1928
- Date Created
- [1927 or 1928]
- Los Angeles Times
- Los Angeles Times Photographic Collection
Suicide notes found on the body of A. R. Driskell, grandfather of Welby Hunt, accomplice with William Edward Hickman in the murder of pharmacist C. Ivy Toms. The handwriting was not analyzed when Driskell took his life (May 25, 1927), but his relationship to Hunt and Hickman brought his death into question during the C. Ivy Toms murder investigation and trial (1927-1928). Both Welby Hunt and William Hickman are referenced in the notes. Initial handwriting comparisons suggested that not all the notes were written by Driskell. An investigation led by George Contreras, chief investigator for the District Attorney's office, concluded that the death was a suicide.
Related to the article, "Hickman Trial Forces Line Up: Insanity Defense Offered; Hearing the 25th Inst.," Los Angeles Times, 4 Jan. 1928: A1.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
- Suicides--California--Los Angeles
Driskell, Abner R., b. 1866 or 67-1927
Hickman, William Edward, 1908-1928
Hunt, Welby Leeson, 1911-1995
- Los Angeles (Calif.)
- Resource type
- still image
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .