Veterans of the American Legion City Hall Post 387 with Mayor Shaw outside City Hall, Los Angeles, 1935
- Veterans of the American Legion City Hall Post 387 with Mayor Shaw outside City Hall, Los Angeles, 1935
- Date Created
- Aug 9, 1935
- Los Angeles Times
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographic Collection
Similar photograph published under caption, "Veterans Take Water Wagon to Fresno." Los Angeles Times, 10 Aug. 1935: 6.
Photograph of Los Angeles Mayor Frank L. Shaw and World War veteran members of the American Legion City Hall Post No. 387, Clifford K. Steele, A. D. Endsley and city hall engineering department accountant Harry Whittington in front of City Hall before the members of the American Legion Post went to Fresno for a convention. The Summer of 1935 faced a heat wave in the San Joaquin Valley, due to which the veterans took their own water wagon. A mountain pump was rigged which was to be used as a shower bath. Photograph shows the wagon hitched to a car. Ross Olney stands next to the pump. The wagon has a banner reading, "Showed Baths Given Here, And How," and the barrel of water has a sign reading, "A Los Angeles Rain Storm, The Climate of Los Angeles is Cool, Have Some,". The Wagon itself has a sign painted to the side reading, "Keep Cool with Los Angeles City Hall Post, A Los Angeles Rain Storm, our weather is unique, warm up with Fresno." C. K. Steele holds a small box reading, "Los Angeles City Hall Post No. 387, California." The veterans and the Mayor protect themselved from the water shower with umbrellas.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
Shaw, Frank L., 1877-1958
Olney, Howard Russell "Ross", 1886-1975
American Legion City Hall Post 387
Steele, Clifford K., 1892-1955
Whittington, Harry Cameron, 1894-1959
Endsley, Avery D., 1895-1974
- Los Angeles (Calif.)
- Resource type
- still image
City council members--California--Los Angeles
City & town halls--California--Los Angeles
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .