Olympic competitor and sportswriter Dick Hyland, Los Angeles, 1935
- Olympic competitor and sportswriter Dick Hyland, Los Angeles, 1935
- Date Created
- March 8, 1935
- Los Angeles Times
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographic Collection
Photograph of Richard Frank Hyland, popularly known as Dick Hyland, American rugby union player and sportswriter for the Los Angeles Times. Hyland competed in Paris in 1924 as a member of the American Olympic Rugby Team, and played as an All-Coast halfback for Stanford, where he was known as "Tricky Dick." He wrote guest columns from coast-to-coast and joined the L.A Times sports staff in 1939, and entered the Standford Hall of Fame for athletes in 1954. He was engaged in a custody battle for his son with his wife in 1935, when this photograph was first used. It has since been used multiple times.
Photograph published with article, "Miss St. Johns Battles Hyland Over Their Son," Los Angeles Times, 9 Mar. 1935: 3. Photograph also used with article, "Holiday for Tired Columnist as Dick Hyland Feels Urge to Write About the Past," Los Angeles Times, 4 Jul. 1935: 15.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: email@example.com. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .