1835 Mexican decree establishing Los Angeles as capital of Alta California, Los Angeles, 1935
- 1835 Mexican decree establishing Los Angeles as capital of Alta California, Los Angeles, 1935
- Date Created
- October 7, 1935
- Los Angeles Times
- Los Angeles Times Photographic Collection
Referenced in more recent article, "Dusting Off the Pages From California's Past," [Los Angeles Times, September 28, 1983]. There is no related article from photograph's time period. This more recent column references the image's subject as part of the Los Angeles Public Library's collection of historical documents. The printed document in the photograph is an original decree establishing Los Angeles as the new capital of the Mexican territory of Alta California. It is signed by then Secretary of the State, Jose Maria Gutierrez de Estrada, on behalf of the interim president of Mexico, Miguel Barragan. The names of other persons, printed in the decree, include: Basilio Arillaga, Deputy President; Antonio Pacheco Leal, President of the Senate; Demetrio del Castillo, Deputy Secretary; and Manuel Miranda, Secretary of the Senate. It is dated May 23, 1935.
Displayed, a 1935 photograph of a one-page paper document printed in Spanish with the header, Primera Secretaria de Estado. Departamento Del Interior. At top and bottom margins are later handwritten notations and a signature.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
Leal, Antonio Pacheco
Estrada, José María Gutiérrez de, 1800-1867
Castillo, Demetrio del
Barragán, Miguel, 1789-1836
- Los Angeles (Calif.)
- Resource type
- still image
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: email@example.com. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .