Police Captain Ralph Davis with abortion case witnesses Rose Marie Heddens, Clara Fournelle and Leo Fournelle, Los Angeles, 1935
- Police Captain Ralph Davis with abortion case witnesses Rose Marie Heddens, Clara Fournelle and Leo Fournelle, Los Angeles, 1935
- Date Created
- August 21, 1935
- Los Angeles Times
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographic Collection
Related to Los Angeles Times article, "Girl Death Quiz Opens: Grand Jury to Investigate "Doctor's" Activities and Two Men Sought," 21 Aug. 1935: A2.
Police Captain Ralph Davis (far left) with Rose Marie Heddens (wife of Harley Heddens), Clara Fournelle (Rose's sister), and her husband Leo Fournelle. The three were held as material witnesses in the case against Harley Heddens, accused of performing an illegal abortion leading to the death of Ruth Attaway. Rose Maire Heddens was later charged with her husband. The four are seated at table strewn with papers. Captain Davis holds a "Daily Police Bulletin," while Heddens and the Fournelles attempt to hide their faces from the camera.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
Criminal investigations--California--Los Angeles
Fournell, Leo John, 1902-1959
Fournell, Clara, b. 1905 or 06
Heddens, Rose Marie, b. 1907 or 08
Attaway, Ruth, 1919 or 20-1935
Davis, Ralph N., 1899-1962
- Los Angeles (Calif.)
- Resource type
- still image
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: email@example.com. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .