Joseph Mesmer, Mary Franklin and Kay Sugahara at the banquet at the Kawafuku Cafe for the 2nd annual Nisei festival, Los Angeles, 1935
- Joseph Mesmer, Mary Franklin and Kay Sugahara at the banquet at the Kawafuku Cafe for the 2nd annual Nisei festival, Los Angeles, 1935
- Date Created
- August 13, 1935
- Los Angeles Times
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographic Collection
Joseph Mesmer (left), Mary Franklin and Kay Sugahara on the night of the banquet of the Nisei festival at the Kawafuku Cafe (then located at the intersection of S. Los Angeles St., E. 1st St. and Weller). Mesmer and Franklin wear ribbons of the Pioneers of Los Angeles County. The banquet honored members of this historical society and prominent elder members of the Los Angeles Japanese community. Joseph Mesmer was a guest of honor at the Nisei festival [Los Angeles Times 8/13/1935].
Joseph Mesmer wears the same suit and award ribbon in a photograph taken at the Nisei festival banquet on 8/13, 1935, published in the Los Angeles Times on 8/14/1936.
The first year of the Nisei festival was 1934. The term Nisei was used to signify the second generation, or American-born Japanese who were American citizens. The festival is now  known as Nisei Week. In 1935 the second annual Nisei festival included a banquet, fashion shows, an ondo (folk dance), kendo contests, a pageant tracing Japanese history, flower and tea ceremonies and a parade.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
Nisei Week (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Mesmer, Joseph, 1855-1947
Sugahara, Kay, 1909-1988
Franklin, Mary, 1847-1943
Kawafuku (Restaurant : Los Angeles, Calif.)
Historical Society of Southern California and of the Pioneers of Los Angeles County
- Los Angeles (Calif.)
- Resource type
- still image
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .