Earthquake-damaged Our Lady of Sorrows Church, Santa Barbara, 1925
- Earthquake-damaged Our Lady of Sorrows Church, Santa Barbara, 1925
- Date Created
- June 29, 1925
- Los Angeles Times
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographic Collection
View down a street with heavily damaged buildings, including a church with a tower, after the Long Beach earthquake. Brick rubble is filed nest to the buildings and a few people are walking in the street in the distance.
View towards earthquake-damaged buildings, including Our Lady of Sorrows Church, at the corner of State and Figueroa Streets, with one of two bell towers destroyed, facade, side, and remaining tower heavily damaged. people are walking in the street.
On June 29, 1925 at 6:42 am a major earthquake hit the area of Santa Barbara. It was 19 seconds in duration and registered 6.8 on the Richter magnitude scale. The downtown of Santa Barbara was destroyed, the Sheffield Dam collapsed, and thirteen people died. The facade of the Mission Santa Barbara was severely damaged and lost its statues. Three persons thought to shut off the town electricity and gas, thereby preventing catastrophic fire. The city was rebuilt in a unified Spanish Colonial Revival style in 1925-1929.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
Catholic churches--California--Santa Barbara
Earthquake damage--California--Santa Barbara
Long Beach Earthquake, Calif., 1933
- Our Lady of Sorrows Church (Santa Barbara, Calif.)
- Santa Barbara (Calif.)
- Resource type
- still image
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: email@example.com. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .