Remains of the failed Saint Francis Dam, San Francisquito Canyon (Calif.), 1928
- Remains of the failed Saint Francis Dam, San Francisquito Canyon (Calif.), 1928
- Date Created
- Los Angeles Times
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographic Collection
Four men stand in a crevice in the remains of the inside of the failed Saint Francis Dam in San Francisquito Canyon. Water depth signs are visible on the concrete dam remains, reading: 1670, 1675, 1680, 1685. A metal door in the wall of the dam attached to a long pole is visible on the left.
The St. Francis Dam was a 200-foot high concrete gravity-arch dam built between 1924 and 1926 in St. Francisquito Canyon (near present-day Castaic and Santa Clarita). The dam collapsed on March 12, 1928 at two and a half minutes before midnight. The resulting flood killed more than 600 residents plus an unknown number of itinerant farm workers camped in San Francisquito Canyon, making it the 2nd greatest loss of life in California after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. It is considered the worst American civil engineering failure in the 20th century.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: email@example.com. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .