Handwritten letter from extortionist to Mae West, 1935
- Handwritten letter from extortionist to Mae West, 1935
- Date Created
- Los Angeles Times
Los Angeles Times Photographic Collection
Related to Los Angeles Times article, October 8, 1935, Officers Capture Mae West Death Threat Suspect, Six Others Questioned in $1000 Plot After Seizure of Studio Bus Boy as He Assertedly Picks Up Decoy. Suspected as the author of a series of sinister notes to Mae West, motion-picture actress, threatening death or disfiguration by acid unless she paid $1000, George Janios, 38-year-old bus boy at a Western-avenue studio, last night was in the custody of investigators …
Photograph of handwritten note on lined paper, attached to board by tacks
Janios was released from custody two days later.
Text reads: Acid is a horrible thing to throw in one's face so beau tiful in the height s of her career you can lose a $1000 or a 1,000,000 we are determind to get it. We want that money no later than nine oclock Monday nite at the other end of Warner Bros Studio in the last tree palm tree if the extortion squad is there we will by our oth get you and spoil your face for all time you know where the last tree is by the gate on the corner stick it in the tree by the palns and dont try to stop who gets it tie a handkerchief on the wall there opposite the tree if you fail to meet our demands. We will shoot a air gun at you within ten da's and we are good shots OVER
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local Identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights contact
- UCLA Library Special Collections, A1713 Charles E. Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (310) 825-4988
- Rights Holder
- The Regents of the University of California
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .