Lois Burr and Pat Graham hold the top of a giant orange in which May Betteridge, Queen of the National Orange Show, sits, San Bernardino, 1934
- Lois Burr and Pat Graham hold the top of a giant orange in which May Betteridge, Queen of the National Orange Show, sits, San Bernardino, 1934
- Date Created
- February 15, 1934
- Los Angeles Times
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographs Collection
Related to Los Angeles Times article, "Orange King Holds Sway: Governor Opens Annual Show: Many-Hued Exhibits Glisten Amid Snowy Setting in Winter Palace: Los Angeles' Huge Futuristic Tower Holds Attention; Horses in Preview," 16 Feb. 1934: A1.
Lois Burr and Pat Graham hold the top of a giant orange in which May Betteridge, Queen of the National Orange Show, sits. Ms. Betteridge holds a basket of oranges. The top of the orange is lined inside with a metallic material. The Sunkist display is visible in the background. Ms. Betteridge emerged from the giant orange during her coronation as Queen of the show.
May Betteridge appears in Los Angeles Times reportage from 1929 to 1934 and again in 1949-1950. She was known for her "little-theater" work by 1928 and was the National Orange Show Queen in 1934.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
cellulose nitrate film
Citrus fruit industry--California--San Bernardino
Agricultural exhibits--California--San Bernardino
National Orange Show
Betteridge, May Isabelle, 1905-1984
- San Bernardino (Calif.)
- Resource type
- still image
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.