George Godfrey, heavyweight boxer, [outside the KJH Radio studio, Los Angeles(?)], circa 1926-1927
- George Godfrey, heavyweight boxer, [outside the KJH Radio studio, Los Angeles(?)], circa 1926-1927
- Date Created
- [circa 1926-1927]
- Los Angeles Times
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Times Photographs Collection
Portait of George Godfrey, heavyweight boxer, wearing a pinstripe suit with a pleated shirt and tie.
George Godfrey, "The Leiperville Shadow," was the ring name of Feab Smith Williams, a heavyweight boxer from the state of Alabama who fought from 1919-1937. Godfrey twice won the World Colored Heavyweight Championship. In 2003, Godfrey was named to the Ring Magazine's list of 100 greatest punchers of all time.
Other photographs taken on this occasion show a sign reading "KHJ" over a doorway. The location may be the KHJ radio studio and towers atop the Los Angeles Times building at 1st and Broadway.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: email@example.com. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.