Manuscript No. 58: Miscellany of Theological Works
- Manuscript No. 58: Miscellany of Theological Works
- Date Created
- Armenian Manuscripts
- Script: bolorgir. Scribe and place of copy: unknown. Illustrations: headpieces, marginal ornaments and decorative initials. Binding: stamped leather over boards. Inscription on front cover, in English translation reads: "This book is in memory of the monk Parsam, son of the priest Paul."
- Medieval Armenian Manuscripts at the University of California, Los Angeles. \ Avedia K. Sanjian, 1999.
- 397 folios.
- Binding note
- Traditional Armenian binding, probably from New Julfa, of vlinding tooled brown calfskin over thin boards. Textblock almost completely detached from boards. Binding inscribed and blind-tooled on both boards. Upper board has three concentric borders. First two borders are filled with different foliated tools; the third border has an inscription in rekat'agir which reads: "this book is in memory of Parsam the monk, son of the priest Pōłos." Central rectangle has foliated stamp in ech corner and in the center a Crucifxion with kneeling saint and INRI (in Latin letters) above the cross. Lower board has inscription in erkat'agir which reads :"Written in the year 1174 of the Great [Armenian] Era [=A.D. 1725], in the year 110 of the Lesser Era, completed on Adam 12 [= May 16]." Originally it had three clasps, however, at a later point two metal fastenings were attached to the boards (in different place from the original three holes).
- Illustrations note
- Codex is illustrated with one headpiece (folio 1) with corresponding bird-form incipit initial and symmetrical marginal palmette, and nine polychrome bird-form initials with corresponding symmetrical marginal palmettes which mark the major divisions of the manuscripts.
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Armenian MS 58
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- public domain
- Rights contact
- UCLA Library Special Collections, A1713 Charles E. Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (310) 825-4950