Wright Saltus Ludington residence, stone basin on pedestal, Montecito, 1931
- Wright Saltus Ludington residence, stone basin on pedestal, Montecito, 1931
- Alternative title
- Wright Saltus Ludington residence
- Cornell, Ralph D.
- Date Created
- March 28, 1931
- Ralph D. Cornell Papers, 1925-1972
The Ludington estate, also known as Val Verde, Dias Felices, the Henry Dater house, and the Dr. Warren Austin home was designed by the architect Bertram Grovenor Goodhue, constructed in 1918 and then purchased by Charles H. Ludington in 1924. His son, Wright Saltus Ludington (who inherited the estate in 1927 or 1930), engaged the landscape architect Lockwood de Forest to design the gardens in 1925. Retaining the geometry of Goodhue's design and much of the wilderness, Lockwood transformed the gardens over a period of twenty-three years.
View of a stone basin on a pedestal in a garden area with brick pavement and a low wall incorporating a bench, with a boxwood hedge and trees visible beyond.
- 1 photographic negative
- 4 x 5 inches
- b&w nitrate negative
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.