Manuscript No. 10: Book of Sermons, 17th/18th Century
- Manuscript No. 10: Book of Sermons, 17th/18th Century
- Uniform title
- Date Created
- 17th/18 century A.D.
- Armenian Manuscripts
The contents of the MS are as follows:Fols. 1-11 (I) Our Lord Jesus Christ said in the Holy Gospel: “When you pray, you shall say: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name…” [Matt. 6:9].Fols. 11v-16 (II) Isaiah, the holy prophet purified by fire, cries out: “Wash you, make you clean…” [Is. 1:16]Fols. 16v-24. (III) Again, at the beginning of Lent, on Confession, on the text: “Wash and become clean; etc.” [Is. 1:16]
The MS is a book of Sermons (K‘arozgir‘k). the authors of only five of 36 homilies in the codex are known: nos. XXXII-XXXV are attributed to Mat‘eos Vardapet and no XXXVI to Georg Vardapet.
- There are no colophons of inscriptions in the codex, hence its date of executio and provenance are unknown. The paleography suggests that the MS was probably written in the seventh century. There is no indication as to when and from whom Dr. Minasian acquired the book.
- 167 folios
- 16.5 X 10.5 cm.
- Binding note
- None. Sewn textblock intact. Sewn on two single cords; kettle-stitches. Remnants of cloth spine lining at head and tail, along with fragments of red silk threads from endbanads (no longer extant). Edges uncolored except for a black line 2 cm. away from spine at both head and tail. Not an Armenian sewing structure. Watermark: bunch of grapes with small S and crowned medallion with fleur-de-lis.
- Condition note
- Except for the missing binding, the MS is in a fairly good state of preservation.
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library Special Collections
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- public domain