Manuscript No. 9: Giardino Spirituale
- Manuscript No. 9: Giardino Spirituale
- Uniform title
- Partēz hogevor
- Date Created
- Armenian Manuscripts
- The codex is a copy of the collection of readings and prayers known as the “Giardino Spirituale” (Partez Hogevor), composed by an anonymous author and rendered into Armenian by Yovhannes Kostandnupolsec‘I Holov (1635-91), who is known as a grammarian and translator of Latin works.
- Fols. 165-166.
- According to the colophon on fols. 165-166, the book was written by the scribe Barsegh, son of Azarie and Yulapxan, at the city of Surat in India. The writing was completed on the 10th of T ‘eray (= Sept. 26) in the year 1142 of the Armenian Era (= A.D. 1693). There are no inscriptions indicating the later history of the codex, and we have no information as to when and from whom Dr. Minasian acquired the book.
- 166 folios
- 7.5X4.5 cm.
- Binding note
- Traditional Armenian binding. Scarlet leather, probably calf, over pasteboards. Blind-tooled with double fillet line border, filled with foliated tool. Central rectangle consists of tiny concentric circles and another leafy tool. Small portion of lower board missing at head. Spine tooled with parallel vertical lines. No fore-edge flap. Two holes from clasps on both boards, clasps now wanting. Scarlet, black, and whote silk traditional raised endbands, damaged. Cloth doublure of alternating green and mustard-colored vertical bands with vine leaf or floral stamped designs. Edges uncolored. Sewn on two cords with typical loop board attachment; two V-notches. White cloth spine lining. No evidence of rebinding.
- Condition note
- The MS is in a fairly good state of preservation. The upper left corner of the back cover is worn off.
- Illustrations note
- The meager illumination in this codex consists of first lines in purple and red ink, with larger initials in purple or orange.
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Armenian MS 9
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- public domain
- Rights contact
- UCLA Library Special Collections, A1713 Charles E. Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (310) 825-4927