Manuscript No. 5 Grigor Tatewac'i's Book of Questions
- Manuscript No. 5 Grigor Tatewac'i's Book of Questions
- Alternative title
- Girk' Harc'manc'
- Date Created
- A.D. 1637
- Armenian Manuscripts
- The codex is a complete copy of Grigor Tatewac'i's "Book of Questions" which is a sort pf ecclesiastical-religious encyclopedia in the form of interrorgations and responses for the use of students. The work is divided into ten books.
- Grigor Tatewac'i's "Book of Questions" appeared in two editions, the first published at New Julfa in 1685-87 and the second at Constantinople in 1729.
- 557 fols.
- 21x15 cm.
- Binding note
- Rebound, probably in the late 19th century. Quarter cloth. Pasteboards covered with bright pink, stained paper, with faded purple cloth spine. No sqaures. Sewing intact, except first three quires resewn. Four V-notches evident. Edges colored red. No endbands, bit fragments of yellowed silk (?) endband threads remain.
- Condition note
- The codex is in a very good state of preservation. Its only defects: the binding is somewhat loose, and the margin of fol. 178 is partially torn off.
- Illustrations note
- This manuscript's illustrations consist of the one half-page headpiece (fol. 6) eleven small one-column headpieces (fols. 1, 2, 57, 115, 155v. 211, 255, 350, 375, 417v, and 479v) with accompanying marginal ornaments and decorative initials, and two charts (fols. 193v and 328v).
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library Special Collections
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- public domain