Young girl sits amongst the harvest from a community garden, circa February 1934.
- Young girl sits amongst the harvest from a community garden, circa February 1934.
- Date Created
- [circa February, 1934]
- Los Angeles Daily News
- No linguistic content
- Los Angeles Daily News Negatives
- Young Los Angelino Yvonne Marion Wolff sits piled under produce grown in a local community garden.Beginning in 1933, small tracts of land throughout Los Angeles county were used by the government as locations for community gardens, where men left unemployed by the Great Depression could work and grow food to feed their families. In 1933, 890 acres of land in Los Angeles County were used toward this purpose; the program expanded to 2,500 acres of land in 1934. This land was approximately enough to grow the vegetables consumed by 20,000 county welfare families.
- 1 photograph
- b&w nitrate negative
Find This Item
- University of California, Los Angeles. Library. Department of Special Collections
- Local identifier
- Manifest url
- Rights statement
- Rights Holder
- UCLA Charles E. Young Research Library Department of Special Collections, A1713 Young Research Library, Box 951575, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1575. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (310)825-4988
- Rights Country
- Funding Note
- Access to this collection is generously supported by Arcadia funds.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License .